How-To

How to Fry an Egg

April 15, 2020 | 46 Comments

How to Fry an Egg | Sunny Side Up Fried Eggs - sophisticatedgourmet.com

One of the first things I learned to do as a child was how to fry an egg perfectly. There is nothing worse than an over-cooked egg, with an egg white that is so burnt that you think it beat the tan that you got during the summer. Sunny side up eggs with a little salt and pepper are a staple around here for a quick breakfast.

It’s easy work when you get the hang of things! What do I find to be a perfectly fried egg? An egg, sunny side up (of course), fried in butter or oil with no chewy whites or burnt edges.

Learning how to fry an egg perfectly is essential, especially if you like to eat them regularly. They’re very simple to prepare. Just be sure to keep an eye on the egg when you’re frying it because it does cook rather quickly!

How to Fry an Egg | Sunny Side Up Fried Eggs sophisticatedgourmet.com

HOW TO FRY AN EGG PERFECTLY? WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FRY EGGS? WHAT KIND OF FAT SHOULD I USE?

Depending on what you’re going for at that moment, you always want to use some sort of fat– be it butter, oil, bacon grease, goose fat, chicken fat, or even duck fat (like in these potatoes). Do keep in mind, however that using butter will result in a luscious, soft-edged and soft-bottomed egg. Fats such as olive oil–depending on temperature, pan, and how much is used– will result in a crispier edge on the egg.

WHAT DO I NEED FOR FRIED EGGS?

Eggs – We’re talking about chicken eggs here, but this would work for duck, or even quail eggs.

Butter – Unsalted, preferably. You can also opt for oil, bacon grease, goose fat, chicken fat, or even duck fat.

Skillet – Preferably non-stick, but cast-iron or even carbon steel would work.

How to Fry an Egg | Sunny Side Up Fried Eggs from sophisticatedgourmet.com

HOW LONG DO YOU FRY AN EGG FOR?

Generally, you would fry an egg for about 3 minutes, or until the white is set. Depending on how you like your eggs, you may want to cook it longer if you prefer not to have a sunny-side up egg.

DO YOU FLIP A FRIED EGG? WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN AN EGG IS OVER-EASY, MEDIUM, OR OVER HARD?

You only flip a fried egg when you’re cooking an egg over-easy, medium, or over hard. Over-easy means that you are still preserving the integrity of the runny yolk inside the egg without showing its vivid yellow yolk like a sunny-side up egg would. Over medium means the egg is fried until the egg white is completely set and some of the egg yolk is set as well– it is not entirely runny. Over hard means the egg is fried until the egg white and egg yolk are completely set and not runny.

How to Fry an Egg | Sunny Side Up Eggs sophisticatedgourmet.com

WHAT IS THE CORRECT PAN TO FRY AN EGG IN?

For ease and comfort when it comes to making eggs, the best pan for this job is a non-stick skillet. Non-stick skillets allow you to use a smaller amount of fat compared to a cast-iron or a carbon steel pan (more on those in a moment). Something between 8-in / 20 cm and 10-in / 25.5 cm works perfectly. Avoid using stainless steel pans when frying eggs– eggs tent to stick to them, and they can be more headache than necessary (though if you must, you may need to shallow-fry your egg using the cast-iron method below).

How to Fry an Egg Perfectly | Make the best Fried Eggs from sophisticatedgourmet.com

WHAT KIND OF NON-STICK SKILLET DO I NEED TO FRY AN EGG?

The non-stick you use to fry eggs is your choice; go for something affordable and well-made. non-stick skillets tend to have short lives, no matter how nicely we treat them, so go for something you’re comfortable buying if you don’t have one already. You do not want a skillet that is super-inexpensive– you want a pan that you feel comfortable using for all your other cooking as well. I’m currently enjoying my Sardel non-stick skillet; it’s durable, dishwasher safe, and it gets the job done. However, I don’t suggest shelling out $90 on a non-stick skillet, especially for this task. I have used this pan by Farberware that I really enjoy. It makes amazing eggs, including omelets. I’ve also used this Rachael Ray one, and that is great too. The size of the pan is up to you.

How to Fry an Egg Perfectly| How to Make Sunny Side Up Fried Eggs from sophisticatedgourmet.com

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I PREFER TO USE CAST IRON OR CARBON STEEL FOR EGGS?

If you prefer not to use anything but cast-iron or carbon steel to fry your eggs, make sure your pan is well-seasoned and expect to use more fat than you would when using a non-stick skillet (about 1/8-inch of oil). It’s just the name of the game, and it’s worth it. When I want a more crispy-edged egg, I use my Iwachu cast-iron skillet from Japan, though this pan is quite versatile and does allow me to achieve a soft-edged egg as well. I’ve also used my ever 100-year-old cast iron skillet that is well-seasoned, but I always gravitate back to my Japanese cast-iron. It’s just perfect.

How to Fry An Egg Perfectly | sophisticatedgourmet.com

MORE COOKING & BAKING HOW-TOS

How to Quickly Bring Eggs to Room Temperature

Homemade New York-Style Bagels

How to De-Seed a Pomegranate

How to Properly Freeze & Store Cookie Dough

Quick & Easy Puff Pastry at Home

New York-Style Soft Pretzels

Yield: Makes 1 Egg

How to Fry an Egg

How to Fry an Egg

I have used both of the following egg frying methods for years and they always results in a perfectly cooked egg with no burns, no chewy whites, and no burned edges! This is truly the perfect way to fry an egg!

To properly fry an egg, you want the freshest and best eggs that you can afford, but honestly– anything that falls within the sell-by date will work.

The crispness, or lack thereof, of the bottom and edges of the fried egg all comes down to the fat and the heat of the pan. For a softer-edged egg, use butter (or a healthy butter alternative) and a non-stick skillet. For a crisper-edge use something like olive oil or sunflower oil. Below are two different methods for frying eggs, as frying an egg with butter and oil can be a little bit different.

When it comes to the salt, I like to either use fine-grain sea salt, himalayan pink salt, or something nice and crunchy like Maldon sea salt. Use whatever you’d like to season your eggs– there’s no right or wrong here.

Prep Time 1 minute
Cook Time 3 minutes
Additional Time 1 minute
Total Time 5 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon butter or oil (or another fat of your choice), or more if using cast-iron
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste

Instructions

How to Fry an Egg in Butter or Oil in A Non-Stick Skillet:

1. To fry an egg, you’ll need to heat a non-stick skillet or a cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat. Once it’s hot, add the butter to the pan. Meanwhile, crack an egg into a bowl (making sure there aren’t any shells in it).

2. Gently place the egg in the skillet, then cover the pan and cook until the egg white is solid.

3. Keep cooking the egg until it’s sunny side up, then remove from the pan and season with salt and pepper, to taste (if using salted butter, you will need little to no salt).

How to Fry an Egg in Oil in a Cast-Iron Skillet:
1. Over medium-low heat, heat about 1/8-inch of oil in the skillet for about 1-2 minutes, until hot and shimmering. Meanwhile, crack an egg into a bowl, ensuring there aren’t any shells in it.

2. Once the oil is hot, gently place the egg in the skillet. Let it sit for a few seconds. Tilt the skillet very slightly to one side and repeatedly spoon the hot oil over the egg. Ensuring that the whites are cooked and slightly puffed, and the yolks are still wet and runny.

3. For shallow-frying, especially in cast-iron it is easy to achieve an over-easy, over-medium, and over-hard egg without flipping the egg over; continuously spoon the hot oil over the egg until the desired doneness has been met. Serve with a sprinkling of salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste.

Notes

How to Fry an Egg Over Easy: to fry an egg over-easy, carefully flip the egg over and cook for about 20 seconds, and remove and serve. You are cooking the egg until the white is set and the yolk is white on top and is still runny.

How to Fry an Egg Over Medium: to fry an egg over-medium, allow the egg to cook for about 35-seconds after flipping the egg, ensuring the white is set and the center is slightly firm and a little bit runny.

How to Fry an Egg Over Hard: to fry an egg over-hard, For allow the egg to cook for about 1-2 minutes, until the whites are puffy and the yolk is firm and no longer soft and runny.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Serving Size:

1 Egg

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 217mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g

How to Fry an Egg | sophisticatedgourmet.com
How to Easily Fry an Egg | How to Make Sunny Side Up Fried Eggs from sophisticatedgourmet.com

Update (April 15, 2020): This post was updated from the archives with more images and more information about frying eggs.

You Will Also Enjoy

• Reply Raj January 11, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Lol, yknow, I always thought fried eggs were the easiest things in the word-until I got married last month. My husband likes his over hard-lets just say we had a lot of eggs that looked like they’d been through hell fire before I got it right!
    also, I LOVE the skillet you’ve used. Could you send me a link for where i could find it plz?

• Reply kamran January 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Hey Rajika- I honestly don’t remember where that skillet came from… I’d have to do some searching online and get back to you on that… :)

• Reply jenn (Bread + Butter) January 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm

A fried egg sandwich seems good right about now. Yum! I cook my eggs in a similar way, too.

• Reply Paula January 11, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Love this post! Cooking eggs always seems easy but it’s not as easy as it sounds. Maybe you could share your tips on perfect scrambled eggs. ;)

• Reply Eleanor Hoh(wokstar) January 12, 2010 at 12:14 am

Hilarious. I have to say I like my eggs with crispy edges, not burnt or deep fried but crispy. Glad you mentioned cast iron to fry eggs, they just slide right out. My hubz didn’t use to like it this way but when I presented it with a drop of Lingham’s hot sauce, he devoured it with relish. We’re just strange like that.

• Reply Tokyo Terrace January 12, 2010 at 12:25 am

Nice post! It is definitely important to know how to fry an egg. Seems simple but can be tricky. My husband is actually much better at frying eggs than I am. I have trouble when I go to flip them. Getting better with practice though! Thanks for the laughs :)

• Reply my spatula January 12, 2010 at 2:11 am

that is one perfect lookin’ egg. bravo!!

• Reply diva January 12, 2010 at 7:41 am

i flippin love this post.

• Reply Tangled Noodle January 12, 2010 at 7:59 am

Frying an egg isn’t as easy as boiling water! I remember when I was a child, fried eggs in our house were made with a rather large amount of oil in the skillet. To ‘cook’ it sunny side up, the oil was flicked over the top of the yolk. Talk about greasy! Now, I cook them only in butter but as long as I don’t let the butter start browning . . . Thanks for the tips!

• Reply thebreadlist January 12, 2010 at 8:54 am

Fun post. Nice egg.

• Reply El January 12, 2010 at 11:51 am

I’m telling you…English professor, writer or attorney. Another great description…utterly convincing.

• Reply Hummingbird Appetite January 13, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Your fried egg looks beautiful!

• Reply Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Great post… Makes me want to make a fried egg, just to do it right. And I don’t even like fried eggs… :)

• Reply Tiffany January 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm

My kitchen slowly became my domain, and it has taken alot to let my husband even scramble some eggs in there. I cook on a stainless steel frying pan, and I don’t care who you are, the only thing that will make a perfect sunny side up egg is butter and low heat.

• Reply Michelle (What's Cooking) January 13, 2010 at 11:36 pm

This post makes me appreciate the fresh eggs that I can go get, right in my own backyard!

• Reply Hélène January 14, 2010 at 12:11 am

I cook my eggs the same way as you do. It’s so good. :)

• Reply Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) January 14, 2010 at 3:53 am

You have a real knack for writing, I must say! I fry my eggs in the same way :)

• Reply wasabi prime January 14, 2010 at 11:07 am

It’s so true, for something as simple as an egg, there’s a list of techniques and do’s/don’ts a mile long over the cooking of an egg. I feel the same about scrambled eggs, which are done poorly so many more times than correct — which can be sublime when cooked the right way.

• Reply Lauren January 15, 2010 at 12:41 am

I never really thought about there being a right or wrong way to make an egg – I just do it! These look perfect. So very yummy!

• Reply Chez Us January 15, 2010 at 11:53 am

Great fried egg & yes, it is hard to find a place that makes an good one – I am a picky egg eater. We did an entire series on eggs last year, from breakfast to dinner and the proper way to do all different kinds. Eggs are good!

• Reply amy January 16, 2010 at 4:48 am

i adore egggs! I am not all that picky even though I am really picky with how my eggs are done but yes, I would refuse to eat an egg that looked like it had gone through the fiery pits of hell! :P

• Reply Ciaochowlinda January 16, 2010 at 9:51 am

You really started my day off with a laugh. Fun post to read. Fried eggs are tricky to cook and I use a cast iron skillet too. But even with that, if you turn up the heat too much, it can turn the eggs to hellfire.

• Reply Natasha January 16, 2010 at 10:59 am

Great post!

• Reply Barbara Kiebel January 24, 2010 at 11:27 am

Great post…and guess it’s easy to forget how something so simple can get so ruined if a cook doesn’t pay attention to details.

Next…we’re waiting for your ‘how to boil’ water experience…I know you’ll make it fun!

• Reply Fuji Mama February 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Awesome post Kamran.

• Reply Joy February 16, 2010 at 10:44 am

Hey Kamran, I found your site through Divina’s and let me just say you are incredibly talented. It shocks me to know that you are so young yet your work is so sophisticated and well written. Great work, you are awesome :)

• Reply Diwa March 26, 2010 at 7:21 am

Honest to God, I’ve been looking (and wondering) how to fry the most perfect sunny side up eggs possible. I do believe this post saved my life. *grins*

Two thumbs up.

• Reply John January 16, 2011 at 10:14 am

Great story! I’m very picky about my eggs too. One step you left out, however, when frying eggs: don’t add the egg(s) until the butter stops foaming. You want all the water to boil off before adding the egg.

• Reply Jen Shaw April 29, 2011 at 11:57 am

Great story! Thanks to you and the great instructions I can now make Milanese Asparagus!!!

• Reply Eirik May 31, 2011 at 4:28 pm

i use oil first to cook it in, and then melt a bit of butter on the side and slowly pour it over the egg when it starts getting finished. very good. best with olive oil if you’re putting it on white bread with ruccula, tomatoes and salt

• Reply parrish February 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I am considered a gourmet cook, but cannot fry an egg. It either sticks to the pan or the whites on top don’t cook. Frustrating. Will try this tonight with patience and expectations – many thanks –

• Reply Charnol February 19, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Medium heat with melted butter. Wait till butter is melted. This applies to both scrambled or fried eggs. I thought I was pretty good at doing eggs until I got married. The first time I did breakfast my wife informed me that her eggs had to be flipped once, do not break the yoke and no snot. It can be a challenge to get that right everytime.

• Reply Zooey Lalond February 20, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I think these direction are good; I am really going to consider them. I hope I can now fry an egg!

• Reply Rebekah May 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Love the post. Agreed on the need for butter! I always add a tiny splash of water to the skillet before putting on the lid- if the skillet is hot enough, this creates steam that cooks the top of the egg, so I don’t need to flip it.

You are, by the way, an excellent writer.

• Reply Yearn June 26, 2012 at 1:31 am

the first time i saw an egg cooked was when i was five years old. I opened the fridge door and two eggs flew out… :-) my ibu scooped them up into a pan and just like that – fried them, gave them to me for lunch. Soooo yummy…
    But is it impossible to cook them completely without flipping? And which is healthier? Butter or oil?

• Reply Anthony September 23, 2012 at 7:12 am

I like mine sunny side up (so I can dip my toast in the egg yolk) and a crusty brown fringe for crunch

• Reply GloriaJo October 31, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Like Tangled Noodle mentioned, the way I was taught to fry an egg was with lots of oil which is definitely not the healthiest method. With your method, my fried eggs were done quickly and they turn out just how I like them using a simple frying pan! Thanks!

• Reply MhaiS21 January 7, 2013 at 7:37 am

Laughed my ass off reading this phrase: “To properly fry an egg, you want the freshest eggs as possible. Not the eggs that have been in your refrigerator since last month (you know who you are).” — ooops! Guilty!

• Reply Jono January 10, 2013 at 6:20 am

I cook mine the same way. I can never decide between over easy and sunny side up, so I usually cook two, one sunny, one over easy but split the yolk after I flip it.
    Also, tastes amazing with the sprinkled salt and pepper, but with shredded cheese added. Only takes half a second to melt if you flip it over, makes a nice layer over the top depending on how much you like.

• Reply Rebecca August 9, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Good post!! I Have always had a problem with fixing eggs. they were always burnt eggs with globes of white here and there or broken yolks. Gonna try your way, Love fried eggs over medium on a hamburger! YUM! Sounds like dinner tonight! My mom always had the same problem as me and I remember hearing my dad on many mornings ask my mom “are they calling for rain again today? I see the eggs have their rain jackets on” LOL :) I will share your post with her!

• Reply Chuck September 22, 2013 at 9:07 am

This recipe is for the purist. Very practical, indeed. There are more ways to fry an egg that are delicious. For example, in Spain they will use a liberal amount of olive oil heated before adding the egg to the skillet. While the egg is cooking you keep splashing some of the hot oil onto the egg with the spatula causing the white to become bubbly and crisp and cooking rhe top of the egg in the process. No need to flip it over. I guess you would cook it a little longer for medium or hard yolks. Then finish by sprinkling with salt and Pimentón de La Vera.

• Reply Laura December 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm

This post helped me make my first perfectly fried egg. Thanks a bunch!

• Reply Dave May 20, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Never, ever use butter or oil in a non-stick pan. Prefer to brush a cast iron skillet with pre-melted butter or a very light oil immediately before dropping the eggs in. With practice you can learn to flip the eggs by “rolling” them at the side of the pan. This is how restaurants do it.

• Reply Holly April 16, 2020 at 3:09 pm

I just cooked the best fried eggs I have ever managed. Thank you for the tips!

• Reply Caroline May 22, 2020 at 6:19 pm

Curious why you crack the egg into a bowl first instead of directly into the pan. Does that help to keep the shape under control?

• Reply Kamran Siddiqi May 22, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Hi Caroline, it does help with the shape. But most importantly, it helps insure that you’ve a good egg (no blood spots). Plus, if you accidentally get shell in the bowl you can take it out before cooking it beforehand. I hope that answers your question!