website statistics
Quick Puff Pastry Recipe | How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
How-To

Quick Puff Pastry

August 18, 2010 | 67 Comments
A recipe for quick, light flaky puff pastry (rough puff pastry) made in a quarter of the time of classic puff pastry. Only takes 15 minutes! | sophisticatedgourmet.com

Next week is my big week. I will be heading off to college. It seems as if yesterday was the day that I step foot into the lobby of my old high school, with a cup of Starbucks in my hand, ready to tackle what four years of high school had in store for me.

It seems as if yesterday was the day that I was walked across a warm football field surrounded by thousands of people, ready to accept my high school diploma and see my friends for the last time on that very field.

It feels like all of this happened within the past few days, but it didn’t, I constantly think about my last hugs, last fist-pounds, and last words with my friends from class.

Now that I look back at high school, I can now say that it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was. Sure, it had it’s ups and downs, and sure- it kept me up until 2AM because I was probably finishing homework for Anatomy and writing last-minute essays for English, but I did meet some awesome people during those four years of my life. I met people who I could spend all the time in the world with, and I met people that I could talk to all day long- and they’d listen.

Those four years of my life were the best and the worst years, but out of all of it- I learned that even though you mess up once, you hopefully won’t make the same mistake twice. I also learned that I can tackle just about any difficult project thrown at me, just as long as I have the right state of mind to complete it successfully.

I guess you can say that I have applied that philosophy (or whatever you’d like to call it) to my baking- I am now fearless in the kitchen, and I’d like to share my fearlessness with you.

So, today dear readers- I am going to put you onto the right road of kitchen fearlessness with a quick puff pastry recipe. A little farther on this road is classic puff pastry (which is definitely worth the effort- trust me!), but we’ll start off with something a bit simpler, and it’ll leave you with flawless results!

Making puff pastry is perhaps a fear of many home bakers around the globe, especially during the summer months, but come on- we’re now walking on a fearless road, so take my hand and I’ll guide you to making some awesome quick puff pastry that is just as great (if not- better) than classic puff pastry.

When making this quick puff pastry (and any puff pastry- for that matter), you want to make sure that everything is cold. So, once you combine the salt and all-purpose flour into a bowl, and you cut the butter into ⅓-inch cubes (and place it into a separate bowl), chill the bowl of flour and salt, and the bowl of butter in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Trust me, your freezer is your friend!

Then, separate the chunks of butter with your fingertips- work quickly, and place it in the bowl of flour.

Once all of the butter is in the bowl with the flour and salt, take a butter knife and coat the butter with the flour, and throw in a little chopping action! Not too much chopping, just so every piece of butter is coated.

Now, drop the contents of your bowl onto your work surface. Preferably a marble board or metal counter (you can even use a chilled baking sheet), but if you’re as fearless (doesn’t sound better than cheap?) as I am, and don’t have a marble board (I promise to pick one up soon!), use whatever clean work surface you have. Just keep in mind you’ll need a lot of flour and you will need to work very quickly.

Form the pile of flour and butter into a well.

Pour in a few tablespoons of the ice water at first. Mix with your fingertips.
You can test the mixture by gently squeezing a small handful. When it has the proper texture, it will hold together without crumbling apart.

If it doesn’t come together, dribble in a few tablespoons more of the ice water until everything forms into a dough. Remember to work quickly and to use your fingertips! You don’t want tough pastry! (Note: Depending on the brand of flour you are using and the weather conditions, you will not need all of the water called for in this recipe- I ended up using about 9 tablespoons of water.)

Knead the dough for 30 seconds.

Form the dough into a square. This is when you may want to wrap the square of dough in plastic wrap, and place it in the refrigerator for about ½ hour (until firm), but depending on how hot and humid it is in your kitchen, you may not need to.

Give the dough a quarter turn and roll away from you into another 15-by-8-inch rectangle. Fold the short ends over the middle to make 3 layers. This is the second turn. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes or place the dough into the freezer for 15-20 minutes (again, if it’s not too hot in your kitchen and you are working quickly- you can skip the refrigeration step and immediately go to the next 2 turns)

Repeat the process for the steps of folding (and giving the dough ¼ turns) to create the third and fourth turns. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before use (or up to 3 days). And you’re done!

See how easy that was? Now, keep in mind that the dough keeps well in the freezer for up to about three months, but with all of the baking I do around here- it doesn’t even last a couple days!

Quick Puff Pastry Recipe

Loosely adapted from Albert Roux
Makes About 1lb / 455g
Time:

5.0 stars based on
67 reviews

Having a digital kitchen scale is so much easier than having to actually measure everything out with this, so if you don’t have a scale- I’d go out and get one, unless you want to wash tons of dishes after you make this quick puff pastry.

250g/ 1 ⅔ cups All-Purpose Flour
⅛ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
250g/ 2 sticks + 2 tblspns unsalted butter, cut into ⅓-inch cubes
⅔ cups Ice Water (you may not use all of this)

Mix salt and flour and place in a bowl.

Cut butter into ⅓-inch cubes, place in a bowl.

Chill bowls of flour and butter for 10 – 15 minutes in the freezer.

Separate the chunks of butter with your fingertips- work quickly, and place it in the bowl of flour.

Dump the contents of your bowl onto your work surface. Preferably a marble board or metal counter (you can even use a chilled baking sheet), but use whatever clean work surface you have. Just keep in mind you’ll need a lot of flour and you will need to work very quickly.

Form the pile of flour and butter into a well.

Pour in a few tablespoons of the ice water at first. Mix with your fingertips.

Knead the dough for 30 seconds.

After the dough is formed into a square, roll it out into a 15-by-8-inch rectangle. Fold the short ends over the middle (like a letter) to make three layers. This is the first turn.

• Reply Sandy August 18, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Thank you for this ~ beautiful pictures and a very clear explanation. Nicely done!

• Reply niri August 18, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Puff Pastry is easily one of the favorites in my home. I don’t make it though because it is not as easy as you make it sound. I love stuffing it with curried veggies or lentils and surprising even my kids love it.

• Reply Allison Arevalo August 18, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Ah yes, high school. All these years later and I still have mixed feelings about it. Love love your photos, and I’ll definitely try out this recipe. I was just reading about a pizza made with puff pastry. I would think it would get too soggy, but I must say, I’m very curious.

• Reply quick puff pastry | the sophisticated gourmet | Cheap Quick Recipes August 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm

[…] Original post by kamran […]

• Reply Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle August 18, 2010 at 9:27 pm

My puff pastry has totally different steps.
    1. Get purse and go to car
    2. Head to nearest grocery store
    3. In the frozen foods section, find the frozen puff pastry
    4. Head home, let it thaw and tada…you’re ready to go!

This looks much better and ONLY something I would consider for the holidays…but guessing I should make a couple at a time and freeze; even use that precious food saver machine I actually own!

Great job!

• Reply alice August 18, 2010 at 9:27 pm

This is a beautiful post and the photos are stunning. Well done!

• Reply Julie August 18, 2010 at 9:27 pm

You seriously rock. I can’t believe all you do, and just heading off to college! You have your whole life ahead. Enjoy. Good luck!

• Reply Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen August 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I love the step-by-step photos. I think with something as challenging as puff pastry, you totally need them! My dad is the king of puff pastry–he makes it every Christmas. Congrats on going to college. Wish you all the best!

• Reply Jenn August 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Next week! Wow this summer has gone quickly…have fun in college, can’t wait to see what you cook up there (will you even have a kitchen available to you?)!! This puff pastry recipe is really interesting, I am bound and determined to conquer puff pastry once I get into my new apt., maybe I’ll try this was first before attempting the not-so-quick puff pastry methods…

• Reply Tweets that mention quick puff pastry | the sophisticated gourmet -- Topsy.com August 18, 2010 at 11:33 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Nirasha, Julie Van Rosendaal, Kamran Siddiqi, Kamran Siddiqi, Shao and others. Shao said: Love the step by step photos. @ksiddiqi92: NEW POST! quick puff pastry http://bit.ly/aRcBTS […]

• Reply Megan Gordon August 19, 2010 at 12:39 am

You know the funny thing about high school? The farther away you get from it, the better it seems. So onward..So excited for you about your upcoming adventures. And this post has shamed me a little. This is one of the shortcuts I take in the kitchen and I should really, really make my own. So next time, I’m doing it in your honor :)

• Reply Tim August 19, 2010 at 1:31 am

Great job on the site, it looks wonderful. I am going to bookmark it and will make sure to check it often!

• Reply Joanna August 19, 2010 at 3:16 am

If only the Top Chef DC contestants were doing this. Why do they keep buying frozen pastry dough when it is so simple?

• Reply Jessica @ How Sweet August 19, 2010 at 5:47 am

Fabulous! I have never made my own.

And I’m not much older than you, but it feels like forever ago when I went to college. I remember it perfectly. Enjoy!

• Reply Gail August 19, 2010 at 6:40 am

Kamran, puff pastry is my most favorite dough. So simple with just a few ingredients, but the end result is so rich and wonderful. Making it is almost more satisfying than eating it, too. Beautiful post, but I’ve come to expect nothing less from you.

I am MUCH older than you, and I remember my first days at college like they happened yesterday. Enjoy the experience. Remember, it’s more than just about the books.

• Reply Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon August 19, 2010 at 7:14 am

Kamran, you are fearless. And your post makes me think that even I could stumble my way to homemade puff pastry.

• Reply CC Recipe August 19, 2010 at 8:57 am

Thanks for such an easy puff pastry recipe, I think it is so much better than buying the stuff in the store:)

• Reply Kaitlin August 19, 2010 at 8:03 am

Best of luck with college! I bet you’re going to love it! It is absolutely 100% nothing like high school, in an amazingly good way.

• Reply Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) August 19, 2010 at 8:17 am

I’ve never seen puff pastry made this way, interesting. I just finished college, will be off to University in a while, I’m having the same jitters!

• Reply Helene August 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

I’ve never attempted Puff Pastry before. Love your steps-by-steps pictures and instructions. I’ll have to try. What are you taking in College?

• Reply Eliana August 19, 2010 at 9:27 am

Great puff pastry tutorial. And good luck in college.

• Reply Kristina August 19, 2010 at 11:03 am

I love the way you describe high school… I also have great memories of high school – and I have to say – the best is about to begin for you!! I can tell you are going to thoroughly experience all that college has to offer… such an exciting time – best of luck on your journey and I look forward to reading more! :)

• Reply DessertForTwo August 19, 2010 at 10:05 am

Congrats on college! If you can tackle homemade puff pastry, you can tackle anything! Keep us updated of your progress :)

• Reply Chrissy (Boots & Pearls) August 19, 2010 at 10:23 am

Wonderful tutorial – and I think I may just be brave enough to give this a try! :0) Best of luck in college – it’s my prediction you will find much success there!!!

• Reply kamran August 19, 2010 at 10:55 am

Thank you everyone for the best wishes in college!

• Reply G. August 19, 2010 at 2:35 pm

so excited for you! wish i could go back in time and relive those weeks leading up to college all over again. enjoy every moment! your puff pastry looks beautiful!

• Reply Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I like your recipe for puff pastry… Much better cutting the butter in the flour than trying to pound out the giant butter cube like I usually do (although I’m sure that’s much more entertaining, watching me try to pound a giant cube of butter with my rolling pin… Glad there were no cameras!). I’ll definitely give this a try.

Best of luck with your college adventures… I’m sure you’ll do great things and have a wonderful time!

• Reply Friday Favorites – Episode 62 | my kitchen addiction August 20, 2010 at 8:02 am

[…] you find puff pastry intimidating, be sure to check out this Quick Puff Pastry from The Sophisticated Gourmet.  Instead of pounding out a giant cube of butter into a rectangle (which can be comical, you […]

• Reply Trackback August 20, 2010 at 8:52 pm

[…] quick puff pastry | the sophisticated gourmet […]

• Reply Trackback August 21, 2010 at 2:14 am

[…] quick puff pastry | the sophisticated gourmet […]

• Reply Nanette August 21, 2010 at 6:14 am

Kamran I have no doubt that you will approach college with the same fierce, tenacity that you have shown with this puff pastry and this blog!

All the best for your new adventure :)

• Reply ardna August 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

true. i freak out every time someone asked me to make puff pastry. great pictures!

ps : high school is the best! college is great too thou. hope u have a great time @ college!

• Reply Cookin' Canuck August 22, 2010 at 10:04 am

What a week you have coming up, Kamran! I wish you all the luck as you settle into your life at college.

This puff pastry is definitely on my to-try list. I use puff pastry a lot, but have never got up the guts to make it myself.

• Reply veron August 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I love making rough puff pastry, I also like doing the regular depending on the application. Good luck with college!

• Reply Lily August 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Kamran, WOW! That’s all I have to say. You are very amazing and I am definitely joining you on your road to kitchen fearlessness! I made your rough puff pastry today after doing a search on Google for quick puff pastry and I absolutely loved the results!! Maybe a little less “puffier” than classic puff pastry- but just as amazing, if not better!

Keep up the great work, and have fun in college! :)

• Reply Tasha @ ThatsSoYummy August 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Wishing you all the best on your journey, now starts another stage in your life and I am sure you will do amazing and learn so much about yourself. Enjoy college and I cannot wait to see more delicious recipes and beautiful photos from you!

• Reply Lauren August 27, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Well, I simply know that college will be great. I want to hear all about your first few days, and I hope you enjoy it!

This puff pastry looks fantastic. I really must try it again. Maybe when my parents can have dairy again :).

• Reply Jen August 29, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I just happened upon your blog. What lovely photos! Good luck at college :)

• Reply tarte tatin « Sassy Radish September 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm

[…] and used Dufour brand puff pastry. You can make your own traditional puff pastry, or go with a quick puff recipe, or cheat, like me, and go with a pre-made pastry […]

• Reply Chez Us September 10, 2010 at 10:22 am

High School – I have such mixed emotions about the whole ordeal. My 25 year reunion is coming up this fall; but, I will not make it for many reasons, one of them being, that I will be working a project in Detroit. Funny, as sometimes, even though, I am definitely in my adult years, I still feel like life can be like high school. Do people really grow up?

Regardless, great post, Kamran! Very inspiring to make puff pastry on your own. I think about it; then buy Dufour! I love the step by step photos and am once again, intrigued. Thank you for doing your job – :)

Denise

• Reply Kathy Diaz (found baking) September 13, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Best of luck to you! College will be one of the most amazing and most memorable time of your life. Absolutely stunning photographs!!!

• Reply wasabi prime September 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm

How goes it, College Fella? I know I’m keeping up with you on Twitter for your educational escapades, but hope you know we’re all cheering for you and glad to see you’re being as voracious with education as you are with food.

• Reply Deborah Dowd September 18, 2010 at 9:02 am

Best of luck with this new chapter in your life- you are sure tomake it a success! And congrats on the puff pastry- when I made my own croissants, my kitchen looked like a flour bag exploded!!

• Reply megan @ whatmegansmaking September 22, 2010 at 6:12 am

How have I been missing your blog all this time? Great tutorial on quick puff pastry, and beautiful pictures. Good luck in college – I bet you’ll love it :)

• Reply kamran September 22, 2010 at 10:21 am

Everyone– thank you so much for your kind words and wishes of luck. college has been going well, so far!

Deborah– Oh, I really must post a photo of my kitchen after I am done baking something. It happens even to the best of us- just as long as those croissants came out great! :)

• Reply Joanne November 2, 2010 at 7:40 am

Great recipe. You’re right – you did take the fear out of making puff pastry. In fact, it looks like fun.
    Hope college is a terrific experience for you. What is your degree?

• Reply Beth (kitchenminions) November 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Ohh that’s awesome! But the real question is, what will you make with the puff pastry!

• Reply Ulya November 4, 2010 at 9:29 am

Oh my god,

I recently came by your blog, and I’m absolutely loving it! The photos, the easy recipes are fun to read, and I think your blog will soon become one of my favorites.

This puff pastry recipe is so good to be true. I’ve always wanted to make puff pastry, but since I’m impatient and a bit messy, I couldn’t dare to do it. This looks much more easier than making real puff pastry. But I have a question, will it also look like real puff pastry? I mean, will it be layered and “puffy” when baked?

If so, then I’ll definitely try it, make some napoleons with them and post it to my blog referring to you!

Thanks!

• Reply Divina November 22, 2010 at 11:30 am

Great post Kamran. Love the step by step photos. I want to be fearless in the kitchen too.

• Reply Sabine March 19, 2011 at 8:24 am

Thank you! This is great to have as a guide. I can’t tell you how many recipes I’m excited to try, until I get to the recipe and it calls for two packages of puff pastry. I much rather make my own, so thanks!

• Reply Easy Apple Tart For Breakfast October 7, 2011 at 10:47 am

[…] some magic puff pastry. I used store bought, but you can make your own if you are feeling up to it. Here’s a good step by step by Kamran. If you’re like me, craving dessert and have no time, just follow the directions on your puff […]

• Reply Chocolate Peppermint Eclairs (NYDC Day#8) - Kitchen Impromptu December 28, 2011 at 4:15 am

[…] frozen last Saturday? Well, I used it today! My first intention was to make Napoleons using this quick puff pastry recipe that I have been wanting to try for a while. But, since there is not a […]

• Reply Averil January 3, 2012 at 6:50 am

Thanks so much. I tried out your recipe and for a first attempt I think it went quite well.

• Reply Hannah January 12, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’ve been looking for a very basic puff pastry recipe for months. I cannot bring myself to use frozen dough. I refuse to. Definitely going to try this out soon – thanks for sharing!

• Reply Elizabeth July 22, 2012 at 2:18 am

I made this and it was so easy and turned out great. Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Mark K April 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Impressed, beautiful presentation. I took your ideas and my food processor to go even faster. I put butter and ice cubes in FP and mixed it up semi fine. added salt ( Like ice cream salt and ice is VERY cold )
    Put in flour and pulsed until mixed just mixed.

Put a bag of ice on my granite counter before all of this and let is chill the rock. Then shaped rolled and folded 4 times fast since everything was very cold and … I’ll have to let you know that where I am … But it looks and feels perfect and I can have pasty in a flash if it works.

• Reply Alice April 18, 2013 at 4:27 am

Most of these people reviewing haven’t even tried the recipe. Does it puff? I love the step by step procedures but you should post pictures of the finished result!

• Reply bettina July 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm

How much puff pastry does it make?

• Reply Lori September 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hi. I just found your site. I love that you posted pictures. I can finally understand how to make it. However, I have one question, if I want to make it dairy free, what should I use instead of butter? Should I use oil or vegan shortening/margarine? Thanks.

• Reply Gia September 26, 2013 at 1:50 am

I also tried to make puff pastry same method but mine did not rise at all.

• Reply All Organic Apfelstrudel…healthy but sinful! | A Swabian in Exile December 7, 2013 at 10:14 pm

[…] this fact I surfed the web and found myself an easy enough puff pastry recipe on this lovely site  http://www.sophisticatedgourmet.com/2010/08/quick-puff-pastry/ , which has a great description and pictures.   It’s really not difficult to make.  The most […]

• Reply Victoria March 9, 2014 at 11:25 am

Kamran,
    I just used this pastry recipe to make some danishes, they turned out fantastic! Thank you for the wonderful recipe.

• Reply Simple Chicken Cornish Pasty Recipe - A Cookie Named Desire April 16, 2014 at 11:45 pm

[…] If you decide to use a premade puff pastry, I won’t blame you for one second. This is the puff pastry recipe I used in case you were […]

• Reply Kathy May 20, 2014 at 9:56 am

bettina
    Based on the amount of ingredients used I would say it makes two sheets of pastry. I have not tried this recipe yet but is is very close to another I have made that makes two sheets.

• Reply The Vanilla Bean Blog | puff pastry tarts with twangy blueberry sauce May 19, 2015 at 10:26 pm

[…] pastry is fine, but look for one that is made with real butter verses palm or soybean oil. I made Kamran’s Quick Puff Pastry. I used Zoe’s pastry cream (2 cups lightened with 1/2 cup of whipped cream) here, but […]

• Reply Michelle @ Taste As You Go April 27, 2016 at 9:42 am

I have dreams where I’m the kind of home baker who’s comfortable enough to make pastry dough all by myself. I swear, 2016 will be the year I try to do it. :)