website statistics
Churros Recipe (Spanish Doughnuts)
Dessert International

Churros (Spanish Doughnuts)

December 31, 2009 | 65 Comments
The simplest and very best Spanish churros recipe. Great for any time of the year and perfect served with chocolate dipping sauce. | sophisticatedgourmet.com

New York is the city that never sleeps; it is a melting pot of sizzling cultures packed into five boroughs (the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island). New York is my home and it is where my obsession with cooking and baking began as a young child.

I have always traveled around NYC using the preferred method of transportation- the subway, which is used by most New Yorkers on a day-to-day basis. Being a born and raised New Yorker, using the subway becomes something that has been etched into my blood.

To keep it real, trains are always packed like a can of sardines and never smell like freshly baked these or hot chocolate. There is usually a noxious odor permeating through the air as you sit in a train car trying so hard not to make any facial expressions at the man sitting next to you who’s sweating like he’s about to give birth to a 20 pound watermelon and smells as if the last time he showered was 2 months ago. You just sit there… Reading, listening to music, staring at people, or just begin to stare into space. You pray to God, begging him to make the stinky man’s stop come up. After 5 stops, mister stinky leaves, you take a deep breath, and you let out a sigh of relief thinking, “THANK GOD!”

Suddenly, your train car sees daylight and is heading towards Jackson Heights; a door in the rear of the train car opens and an elderly hispanic woman is screaming over the noise of the train, “Churros. Churros…” She is pushing a cart with a baking sheet piled high with churros that are carefully covered in shrink wrap. This is not the first time you’ve seen one of these ladies selling this famous latin american doughnut, so you give in and buy two churros off of the sweet elderly woman. She returns three singles back from the five dollar bill you gave her and hands you the two churros in a paper bag. You immediately begin devouring one of the churros. She smiles and pushes her cart to her next customer.

It’s your stop on the train. You save the paper bag from the churros (to recycle!), and proceed to walk home. When you finally get home you wish you had saved one of those churros for some late night snacking. An idea pops up in your head to make homemade churros. Brilliant. You do a simply Google search and get nothing that pops out to you. Food Network recipes are good, but you’re tired of “twisted” versions of things, so you almost give up. This is where I come in and say to worry no more! This famous “subway treat” can be made at home and enjoyed with a nice cup of hot cocoa. So regardless if you’re from New York City or not, all you have to do is go into your kitchen and pull out a few simple ingredients necessary to make these treats! Churros are super simple to make and can be made to any size and shape that you’d like !

All you have to do is gather some water, butter, sugar, and ½ teaspoon of lemon zest and bring it to a boil.

After your water mixture comes to a boil, remove the pan from the stove and add in your flour. Mix it on medium heat until the dough forms into a smooth, uniform ball. After the ball is made, you have to wait a few minutes until the dough has cooled enough so when you add the egg (make sure it is at room temperature), it doesn’t curdle. After the dough has cooled for about 3 minutes, put the dough into a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, add the egg and mix (the mixture will look coagulated and slimy at first, but then it will mix into a beautiful, shiny, smooth dough.

Spoon the dough into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip; any size is fine, just as long as it is a star tip. I couldn’t find my huge star tip, so I used the small star tip that came with my disposable piping bags. Once the mixture is in the bag, heat up some oil (in this case, the more, the better because you don’t want the churros touching the bottom of the pan) until a deep-fry thermometer reads 375ºF.

When frying the churros, I find it easier to hold the pastry bag a few inches above the oil and I try not to over crowd the pot. You can shape the churros by moving the pastry bag in circular motions. I  just let them do their own thing… If they curl, they curl. While frying the churros, you’ll need to flip them over, using heavy-duty chopsticks to flip them over works well, but you can use tongs too!

When these babies are out of the oil, drop them in some cinnamon sugar mixture, tap the excess cinnamon sugar off, and place the churros in a bowl lined with paper towels.

The churros can sit out for up to about an hour and a half without really softening up too much, but they are best served immediately with a nice cup of hot cocoa.

Enjoy!

Churros Recipe
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living Magazine, Page 210, December 2008
Makes: 24 Churros
Prep time: | Total time:

The topping possibilities for churros are endless. Instead of dropping the churros in cinnamon sugar, you can drop them in vanilla sugar, slather on a couple spoonfuls of nutella, or dip the ends of each mini churro in melted chocolate.

½ Cup / 120ml Water
2 tablespoons /30g salted butter
¼ cup (50g) plus 1 tablespoon (13g) sugar
½ teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup / 60g all-purpose flour
1 large egg (at room temperature)
Vegetable Oil, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, or Olive Oil for frying and cutting
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Bring water, butter, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and ½ teaspoon of lemon zest to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Remove from heat, and stir in flour. Return pan to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until dough forms a smooth ball, about 1 ½ minutes. Transfer to a mixer bowl, and let cool for 3 minutes.

With mixer (standing or hand-held) on medium speed, add the egg, and beat until the dough is smooth and shiny, about 3 minutes. (kamran note: the dough will look all curdled and weird at first, but just keep beating the mixture until it becomes smooth; the dough will be sticky).

Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot until it registers 375º on a deep-fry thermometer. (kamran note: deep fry thermometer isn’t necessary for any of you wondering, just make sure the oil is hot, but not too hot that it will scorch the churros).

Meanwhile, mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a medium bowl. If you’d rather not top the churros with cinnamon sugar, read the headnotes to see other possible things you can do with the churros.

Spoon the dough into a pastry bag fitted with an open start tip (kamran note: any size is fine, depending on how thick you want your churros). Hold the pastry bag a few inches above the oil, and pipe six to eight 5-inch lengths, moving bag in circular motions while piping to create decorative shapes if desired. Cut dough with an oiled knife. Fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain oil off, then toss in cinnamon sugar mixture (if you decide to top them with that). Repeat with remaining dough.

Serve immediately and enjoy!

• Reply Tokyo Terrace December 31, 2009 at 6:22 am

Oh my gosh! I love love LOVE Churros! When I was in Argentina with Brad we had these a lot and they were delectable. Great recipe! Can’t WAIT to try it!

• Reply paula December 31, 2009 at 8:57 am

Thanks for the recipe. I’ve been toying around with the idea of making them but I felt it was complicated and messy. You make it sound quite easy so maybe I’ll give them a try.

• Reply kamran December 31, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Paula, this recipe is a mix, pipe, and fry kind of thing. Nothing too complicated! The messiest thing to make on this site definitely has to be my marshmallow recipe. This recipe doesn’t dirty up too many dishes, which is a big plus in my book! :)

• Reply Xai December 31, 2009 at 1:23 pm

well… this is wonderful! i am in dire need of a churro fix right now! wish i have those old latina ladies here in the bay, the closest thing i have are the hairnet wearing girls at costco! i didn’t know it was that easy. i guess, i just never cared about making my own. i normally leave it to the costco people. i can’t wait to try this! and maybe fill it with guava like the one i had in cuba when i was younger. yum. thanks for this quick fix recipe!

• Reply uzma December 31, 2009 at 2:18 pm

can’t wait to try this,looks like an amazing and simple recipe!Bet my kids will love these!

• Reply Jessie December 31, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I adore churros and I just love how you incorporated a New York story into your churro baking experience. I can definitely relate with you on that since I am a New Yorker myself :)

• Reply El December 31, 2009 at 4:00 pm

That’s a pretty accurate subway description. Too accurate perhaps. Looks like a fantastic recipe and great photos (of course). Have a wonderful 2010!!

• Reply Gera @ SweetsFoods December 31, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Kamran Sweet New Year 2010 for you!!
    So perfect with these churros and here they go with dulce de leche filling :)

All the best,

Gera

• Reply Lauren December 31, 2009 at 4:16 pm

How lovely! I’ve never been to New York, but am dying to go and I loved your subway description! I wish you all the best in the new year, and lots of fantastic delicious food!

• Reply Twitted by ksiddiqi92 December 31, 2009 at 4:22 pm

[…] This post was Twitted by ksiddiqi92 […]

• Reply Hélène December 31, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Totally delicious. Thanks for sharing. I wish you an Happy 2010 New Year. Lot’s of great blog posts also :)

• Reply Su-yin December 31, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I had churros for the first time a few weeks ago, and have officially fallen in love. Yours look lovely, thanks for the recipe!

On another note, have a very happy 2010. :)

• Reply Natasha December 31, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Yummy! This looks delicious. I Love Churros and can’t wait to try this recipe.

• Reply jenn (Bread + Butter) December 31, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Ironically, I had a churro yesterday when I went to Disneyland. i can never get enough of them. I was tempted to buy two.

• Reply Divina December 31, 2009 at 8:19 pm

What could be better than starting the new year with churros. And having hot chocolate is just to have with it. Your photos are just getting better and better.

• Reply kamran December 31, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Jenn, how much are churros at Disneyland? I haven’t been there since I was 7!

Divina, thank you so much! :D

Everyone- have a Happy New Year! :)

• Reply veron December 31, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I really want this churros to dip in hot chocolate now. Yumyumyum! Happy New Year, kamran!

• Reply Tiffiny Felix December 31, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Oh, my!! I don’t know if I’m excited I saw this on Tastespotting or scared ;) Thanks for the post…they look divine! Chlup!

• Reply The Cookbook Apprentice January 1, 2010 at 2:50 am

Happy New Year and happy churros from a former New Yorker!

• Reply Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 1, 2010 at 7:01 am

That’s the spirit! I love it :) Yes making them at home is a great idea (although dangerous for me as I love them). Happy New Year! :D

• Reply The Purple Foodie January 1, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I have wanted to make churros for so long! So much that I have it on my list of things to make in 2010! Your story about the NYC subway took me back to my trip there in March ’09. I wish I knew you then!

• Reply zoe January 1, 2010 at 4:21 pm

These churros are fantastic! I haven’t had them in forever, can’t wait to try them! Thanks for the inspiration and happy new year!

• Reply kt January 1, 2010 at 7:26 pm

wow, kamran. these are gorgeous, and your photography is amazing. love it!

• Reply Bromography January 2, 2010 at 5:43 am

Great post! As a fellow New York, I think that I was sitting on the other side of ‘stinky’, and bought churros from the same lady! Happy New Year!

• Reply Drick January 2, 2010 at 10:49 am

love churros and haven’t made them in years – they remind me of my many trips into Mexico – Happy New Year and have a great weekend

• Reply Shelly @ EC Pursuits January 2, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Love your description of the NYC Subway. You definitely see lots of colorful things on there, though when it’s 4AM on a Saturday night after a night of partying, my preferred mode is still the cab.

Thanks for the Churros recipe. I’ve had some great ones at 5 Points and have always wanted to make my own. I think I’ll have to get me a pastry bag with a star tip!

• Reply Anna January 2, 2010 at 1:25 pm

OMG! This churros looks sooooooo good.

• Reply Muneeba January 2, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I’m biting my hand ‘coz I’m craving those churros so badly right now!! GAAAARRRR … fresh & crispy, just the way I like them.

• Reply Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 2, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Y-U-M! I love churros (and strangely enough, that’s also how I pronounce Truro on Cape Cod… I need speech therapy, but that’s not really relevant). Reading your post makes me want to make another trip to NYC!

• Reply Hummingbird Appetite January 3, 2010 at 12:04 am

They look delicious! Wish I could bite into one!

• Reply penny aka jeroxie January 3, 2010 at 2:21 am

Yes. I like churros very much. Especially with hot dark thick chocolate.

• Reply Za January 3, 2010 at 11:41 am

Lovely post….you make it sound so simple! and the chocolate dip..hmmm….I’m thinking “gotta have it now”

• Reply Jaime January 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm

You are a genius! We ate tons of these in Seville, Spain over the holidays and can’t get enough. Sweet husband will be so thrilled about this! Thanks so much!

• Reply lisa January 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Love churros! Will make these soon. Happy 2010!

• Reply Alta January 3, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Churros, mmmm….I love these things. So tasty! I made some for the first time before I went gluten-free. I miss them! Your photos are superb, as always!

• Reply skeete January 3, 2010 at 7:20 pm

This made my day! Thank you. My Christmas present from someone is to make any recipe of my choosing. I’m going to be using your churros recipe! Can’t wait. Does it matter the brand of flour you use?

• Reply kamran January 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Skeete, thanks for the comment. I honestly don’t think you need to use a specific brand of flour for this recipe, as everything ends up fried.

• Reply Mr. P January 4, 2010 at 7:49 am

Churros have got me in trouble on more than one occasion (I don’t mean making them).

Maybe I’ll try this out. Did you actually use a thermometer by the way? I can never be bothered with that kerfuffle. I’d be fine without, right?

• Reply Tina Marie January 4, 2010 at 11:45 am

Perfect paired with hot chocolate. Loved your post – it really took me to New York!

• Reply Alison January 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

You take such wonderful pictures, and churros make a great subject.

• Reply kamran siddiqi January 4, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Mr.P, honestly, as long as you know how to heat the oil, you’ll be fine!

Tina & Alison, thanks, you both are very kind!

• Reply wasabi prime January 4, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Yum, I used to get these a lot more when I lived in Arizona. So delicious and in a lot of ways more enjoyable when someone else is doing the frying! I supply my craving for these at a local restaurant that serves them with a little pot of spicy chocolate sauce. So rich and delicious, and really good with a little glass of port.

• Reply Barbara Kiebel January 4, 2010 at 6:57 pm

These look fabulous and I don’t think you need a new camera, you seem to have this one working just fine! Beautiful picture.

• Reply Nadia January 4, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I just came across your site via twitter. I can’t wait to go into the archives. Love your style of writing and your photos! I always felt like I was supposed to be a New Yorker hehe…maybe one day!!! The churros look divine. I am currently living in Canada and really miss the Latin culture prevalent in the States.

• Reply Jennifer January 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Kamran, if I bring us all coffee will you pretty please bring some of these next Thursday. Looking forward to finally meeting you!

• Reply Natasha - 5 Star Foodie January 6, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Wow, such beautiful and delicious looking churros! Your pictures are so gorgeous! Happy New Year!

• Reply MrsLavendula January 6, 2010 at 1:04 pm

i love churros with really thick spanish hot chocolate! yum!!!

• Reply Vegetable Matter January 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I’ve been obsessed with making doughnuts lately. Not sure why, maybe the weather? I even added a deep fryer to my Amazon wish list. My birthday is the 15th if you were trying to remember… :) I will definitely give your recipe a try.

• Reply OysterCulture January 6, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I had to smile about your stories of the subway, doesn’t matter what its called muni, metro – the problems are the same. I’d of course immediately forget my problems if I was munching on one of these incredibly delicious churros. What a great idea to put together. I loved the photos!

• Reply The Duo Dishes January 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm

It’s true…the subways are all the same. Even our teeny weeny system in LA can be full of interesting characters! The one thing we don’t have is a churros cart…at least not yet. It may be time to start one!

• Reply kamran January 6, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Jennifer, I would if I could, but they’d most likely get all soggy after an hour or so… I don’t know about you, but I don’t like soggy Churros… I’ll see if I bring something else!

Natasha, thanks! You’re very sweet!

The Duo Dishes- haha! This reminds me when I first made them- my mom said that I should just start my own business selling churros! LOL. You can start one in LA and I’ll start one here… Hehe

• Reply Kristen January 7, 2010 at 11:36 am

I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Maybe I will have to take the subway to JH one day just for those churros ;)

• Reply katiek@ kitchensidecar January 8, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I love churros, and these look out of this world – but fyi, these look Mexican to me. Spanish churros don’t have any sugar or cinnamon on the outside. The are made in yard long concentric spirals and served with thick hot chocolat. These eat them for breakfast or during feria. Swoon…

• Reply kamran January 9, 2010 at 3:36 am

katiek@kitchensidecar- thanks for the comment. I am highly aware that these are not Spanish churros, as my grandfather was from Spain. Churros are known as Spanish Doughnuts (because they originated in Spain). Nowhere in the post did I mention that these were authentic Spanish churros. If I did, the recipe would have been properly titled, “Authentic Spanish Churro Recipe,” and my post would have been entitled something similar to that, as well.

Additionally, if these were authentic Spanish churros, I would have served them with a chocolate bisque, used an entirely different tip on my pastry bag, and I would have most likely used potato dough or wheat flour to make the churro dough. Churros are found all over Latin America, Spain, Portugal, France, and even the Chinese have something similar to Churros, which they call “You Tiao.”

These are more of a Mexican churro, which are generally topped with cinnamon sugar and served with a cup of hot chocolate (as mentioned in the closing lines of the post).

Again, thank you for the comment.

• Reply Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef January 9, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Mmm, I love churros. My friend from Spain brought me a block of chocolate especially for dipping them!

• Reply Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) January 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Wow I just ate churros for the first time recently.. actually the first thing I ate this year!! And here you go making a post on them. They look delicious, and I wanted to make and post these too, but circumstances intervened! I shall make them soon enough though! :)

• Reply tia February 13, 2010 at 1:05 am

omg.. you are amazing and so are these I bet.

• Reply Jennifer April 5, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Love your site. As a former self proclaimed cooking hater; I have seen the light! I am changing my evil ways of eating out every meal and have been cooking for at least a year now! I have been inspired by food network but had truly yet to find something as inspiring until today! I live on the Mexican/USA border (talk about drama) and I really love the churros. What is not to love? I wanted to try making them myself and voila! Great great great! I will say that mine came out looking nothing like what I am use to seeing although I think I appreciate the abstract artsiness of my sinful curly fries look a likes. Now I just need to find a recipe for the perfect carmel type dipping sauce. I know, I know that in Spain it is chocolate and I LOVE Chocolate however this needs something different for me.! Thanks for such an awesome website.

• Reply Tiffiny Felix February 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Happy Friday! I wanted to let you know I’ve included this recipe in my “5 Recipes I would love to make” Friday round-up. I’ve had your churros bookmarked *forever* but I don’t dare make them! Unless I can have a group of people over to help eat them…then maybe… ;) Please let me know if you’d like me to remove the picture and link from the round-up. Thanks! :)

• Reply Cinco de Mayo « SerendipityCatering 303.561.3663 April 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm

[…] The Sophisticated Gourmet: Churros (Spanish Doughnuts) […]

• Reply deep frying: churros « girl meets boy meets world meets food May 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

[…] Adapted from The Sophisticated Gourmet […]

• Reply Lola December 4, 2012 at 3:20 am

Kamran i just have a quick question, im planning on cooking these for work on thursday, however i was planning on making them the night before.. do you think they’ll be soggy the next day?

• Reply Melanie February 27, 2013 at 1:55 am

Please people, try the recipes before reviewing , so it helps others

• Reply Fran Cooper June 23, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Hi Kamran. I would like to make these in big qauntities and was woundering if it is ok for the batter to be cold when pipping it into the hot oil?? and how long can we keep batter for before it gets fryed??
    warms regards