Raspberry and Cream Scones Recipe | Easy Scones Recipe
Breakfast

Heartbreak Raspberry Cream Scones

December 4, 2013 | 43 Comments
Raspberry Cream Scones

I had to come back and bring you Raspberry Cream Scones. The kind that are speckled with crimson-red berries and are infinitely tender, flavorful, and moist. I love berries, and when I’m stuck in my tiny town with only the grocery store to rely on, I know Driscoll’s will have an exceptional product I can rely on year-round. I know it’s not summertime here, but heartbreak knows no season or the holidays and when it demands you make scones speckled with berries at 6am, scones must happen. It’s as simple as that.

The funny thing about heartbreak is that we learn from our mistakes, but we also pay for them. It’s very much a sobering experience and, of course, an emotional one. And because we are all human, it’s almost embedded in us to find love– to find that one mate that makes our soul sing and dance like a child; oh, the innocence.

An amazing recipe for infinitely tender, flavorful, and moist raspberry and cream scones. | sophisticatedgourmet.com

I remember when I was ten years old I tried convincing my parents that I was a mature individual– that I knew when I was doing something wrong and right and that because I was from New York, it was practically embedded in my bones. I thought I was a tough New Yorker that could handle it all; that I was fearless, strong, and iron-hearted, but that’s not how it is at all. Growing up, I learned that there are so many factors that contribute to a simple idea, which make things seems much more complicated than that, but they’re only as complicated as we wish to believe. All of us, no matter what age, where we’re from, how we were brought up– we’re all tender-hearted and feel pain, disappointment, and sorrow. We associate songs, foods, and places with our pasts– chapters that were closed years ago, or just the other day. These chapters, however, require revisiting once in a while. They remind us to love harder, to better and embrace ourselves as individuals, and they ultimately remind us to remain true to ourselves.

We’re fragile creatures, just like these scones and the berries that fill them. From beginning to end, scones, like our hearts, require a gentle touch. They can be formed and cut into any shape, but we’re the ones that control the entire process. That’s what life is, in a nutshell. It’s about taking what we want out of our lives and learning from each and every one of our experiences.

It’s easy to write, “all will be well, I promise” but you and I both know that it’s easier said than done. We all heal at different rates. For some, it could take a couple weeks, for others, a couple months; and for others, it could take years. Time is what heals, but in the meantime, make these scones; they’ll assist in the process. Sip on your favorite tea or coffee, or indulge in some hot chocolate or warm apple cider– whatever floats your boat. For the scones, a pat of butter is recommended, and jam is optional. Be positive, make friends, love harder, and have some raspberry scones.

Heartbreak Raspberry Cream Scones Recipe
Makes About 9 scones
Duration:

The secret to good scones is to handle the dough as little as possible and to use cold ingredients to achieve flaky layers; that’s about it! These are proper scones—ones that will heal any bad day, bad week, or like in this case: a broken heart. Have them during the holidays, during a break-up, in the dead of winter, in the middle of summer– they’re exceptional.

Cream Scone Dough

2 1/2 cups/300 g all-purpose flour
5 Tablespoons/65 g granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
6 Tablespoon/85 g cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-in/12-mm cubes
1 cup/240 ml heavy (whipping) cream
1 cold large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup / 125g fresh raspberries

Sugar Topping
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Pinch of fine-grain sea salt
Granulated or demerara sugar, for sprinkling

To make the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the
butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips, two butter knives, or a pastry blender
until the mixture resembles coarse meal and no pieces of butter are larger than a pea.

In a glass measuring cup, beat together the cream, egg, and vanilla. Pour the cream mixture into the flour and butter mixture, and stir until a dough forms.

Lightly flour a clean work surface and turn out the dough. Scatter the raspberries on top of the dough and gently kneading the raspberries into the dough for 10 seconds, until the raspberries are evenly distributed throughout.Do note that because of the raspberries, the dough will be quite moist at this point; so be sure to lightly flour the work surface as needed to prevent sticking.

Pat the dough into a square about 3/4 in/2 cm thick and let it rest for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

Once the oven has preheated, use a knife to cut the dough into 9 squares and put them on the prepared baking sheet. Or use a 2-inch /5cm round cutter or the rim of a glass dipped in flour to punch out circles of dough. Be sure to cut them as closely to one another as possible; you should get 6 rounds, and when you pat the dough back together (it doesn’t need to be a square this time), you should be able to get 3 more rounds. Avoid rerolling the dough during this second stage, as this will result in tough scones.

To make the topping: In a small bowl, beat together the egg, sugar, and salt. Lightly brush the tops of the dough pieces with the mixture and wait 1 minute until the topping sets. Sprinkle the tops with more sugar (about 1/2 tsp per scone) and bake for 13 to 18 minutes, until the scones are golden brown. Be sure to rotate the pan halfway through baking.

Allow the scones to sit on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool slightly for 5 to 10 more minutes before serving.

Serve the same day with butter, jam, and a delicious warm beverage.

THIS POST WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

driscolls-logo_0

Fine print: Both Driscoll’s and KitchenAid have teamed together to create the Made With Love Campaign: Berry Gifts Made with Love for Special Family & Friends. This post was a paid endorsement by Driscoll’s, however, as you’ve seen in the past on this site, I absolutely love what they do and I love their products; all opinions in this post (including this little tidbit) are my own.

For more berry recipes, be sure to visit www.driscolls.com; they are also running a holiday sweepstakes in which a lucky winner will win a brand new KitchenAid stand mixer and free Driscoll’s berries for a year (click here to participate in the sweepstakes)

• Reply Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) December 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

These scones are stealing my heart right now! Gorgeous!

• Reply Erica Lea | Buttered Side Up December 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm

That was lovely, Kam. And these scones look delicious. I wonder if it would work with frozen raspberries…I suppose they would be too moist.

• Reply Kamran December 4, 2013 at 3:34 pm

The frozen kind would definitely work! Do keep in mind frozen raspberries tend to stain the dough a bit more, but they’ll definitely work in a cinch. Thaw the berries before using them. If you haven’t the time for defrosting, you can simply use them frozen; just keep in mind you’ll likely need to add a couple minutes onto the baking time. I hope that helps! :)

• Reply Reem December 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Your words touched my heart… Always remember that no matter how hard it seems time heals everything! Eventhough I have never met you but everyone who knows you have said only zillion nzillions wwonderful things about you. I know u are a great person n you’ll always rock!

• Reply Kamran December 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Thanks so much, Reem!

• Reply Bee December 4, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Kamran, gorgeous gorgeous scones and post. Glad that you’re back. :)

• Reply lyndsay // coco cake land December 4, 2013 at 5:50 pm

dear kam, so sorry to hear you’re going through sad times. having been there, i can only say to try and keep busy – even if that’s hanging out on the couch with some friends and snacks, bake a little (which these beautiful scones are proof of) and try to go on some nice walks or a bit of physical fitness… surround yourself with friends and family who love and care for you. and give yourself all the time in the world you need to heal. take care!! (glad to see your beautiful post) xo

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar December 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I want these in my life every day. LOVE~

• Reply Mariah December 4, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Kam: your posts always leave me speechless and touch my heart. Your recipes, photos, and your writing make me melt in my seat and it takes a lot for that to happen. You are very talented my dear!!! Be well!

• Reply Kamran December 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Thank you so much!

• Reply Jasmine | The Gluten Free Scallywag December 5, 2013 at 4:25 am

time, it’s important in many a thing and yet nothing is worth doing without heart in it. keep both with you, even when they seem to slip through your fingers, and you can do anything. gorgeous kamran.

• Reply Erika December 5, 2013 at 8:35 am

Welcome back.. these scones are lovely and so are you beautifully written words. Time does heal, although the memories sometimes linger forever. But like you said we learn from them and move forward.

• Reply Lana @ Never Enough Thyme December 5, 2013 at 9:10 am

Kamran, I’m so sorry to read about the turmoil going on in your life over the past months. But, I’m very happy to see you back online and looking forward to following your journey going forward.

• Reply Sabrina Modelle December 5, 2013 at 9:22 am

Heartbreak- you’ve described it so well. I’m sorry your heart is hurting my friend. You are a rare gem and I think of you and wish you all the wild, gorgeous, messy, beautiful love you deserve. Until then, we’ll always have scones. X

• Reply Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder December 5, 2013 at 11:09 am

Yum!

Hmm, would it be possible to substitute Greek yogurt for the heavy cream? Or would that totally destroy the texture? I know you need fat but trying to figure out how to avoid diabetes and heart attacks haha

–a med school student who cooks

• Reply Kamran December 5, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Hi Natalie,

I definitely wouldn’t suggest doing so, as the fat content of the heavy cream is necessary for so many reasons.

Haha! I absolutely understand! I feel like one only has to worry about diabetes and heart attacks when they over-indulge on a regular basis. Yes, I bake on an almost daily basis. Do I eat significant amounts of what I bake? No, of course not! I’m a staunch advocate of temperance– eating well, in moderation, is important. However, so is maintaining the integrity of my food.

Anyway, before I get off track here– I definitely wouldn’t suggest using greek yogurt in place of the heavy cream because it would change many of the star qualities of these Cream Scones!

• Reply naomi December 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Ah, my heart feels for you. And yes it takes time,but you have the right idea: be positive, love harder, make friends and have scones – eat for joy not for sorrow! :)

• Reply Chicken Pot Pie » Dunk & Crumble December 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm

[…] joys and heartbreaks and embarrassments of it all.  I just read a lovely essay about heartbreak here, actually.  Heartbreak comes in many forms, though, as I’m sure you’re […]

• Reply Sandra @ Foodmanna December 7, 2013 at 4:04 am

Lovely scones and great post. Heartbreaks take time to heal. As you said, people takes different length of time to eventually get better. Glad you’ve found the vehicle of baking to mend a broken heart. And is really okay to bake for yourself whenever you need. Even at 3am.

• Reply John December 8, 2013 at 11:44 am

Heh Kiddo, I made the scones yesterday using frozen raspberries that thawed down in the fridge and they were (still are) the best scones I have eaten. Enjoyed a cup of Community coffee, buttered scones, and a little bit of heaven. Won’t be buying the bagged brands anymore. I took pics like you do in a step by step process. It was fun Kam. Now, are you easing into a peace-filled state of mind surrounded by your family and friends? Well, take a look at where you are in this life. You give many wonderful gifts of yourself and have a direction, sharing your joy, love and sensitivity with everyone. And despite the heartache, as Mother T says, “. . .love anyway.” Best wishes and thanks so much for sharing your time and talents.

• Reply Kamran December 8, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Hi John,

I am so glad to hear that; thank you for your kind words! And I’d love to see the photos of the finished scones; if you’re on Facebook would you mind sharing them on the site’s Facebook page HERE?

Also, I am most definitely surrounding myself with positivity and my loved ones. And Mother Teresa was absolutely right; it’s definitely the only way to move past these times, and I’m doing just as she said.

• Reply Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste December 8, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Your writing is spectacular. Your photos are amazing. I love everything about this post, Kam!

• Reply Kamran December 8, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Ah, thank you so much, Kelly! So very kind of you to say! :)

• Reply Jayne December 11, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Feel better Kamran! We’re here rooting for you. Everyone knows heartbreak to varying degrees and it’s never easy when you’re in the throes of it. But once you come out on the other side of the tunnel, life will mean a lot more. Simple little things would carry more value. Also, this recipe is beautiful. I cannot resist a recipe with splotches of colour.

• Reply [email protected] December 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm

The only person that’s right for you is someone who really “gets” you. Otherwise,it’s all wrong and will never be right. The biggest heart ache is simply the one that took us by surprise and we don’t understand. It’s not necessarily the one we loved the most or “got” the most either. All will be well, but in the meantime, the scone is soothing, better than drugs or pickups to get over it. I remember my heartaches of early life when I read this. One really did me in badly, but he was all wrong for me; right for someone else, but not for me. I’m talking too much because the nurturer in me can’t help it. hugs to you.

• Reply Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 19, 2013 at 2:20 pm

There’s nothing better than food to cure the soul. Heal well, my friend. xo

• Reply Philip December 30, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe and thoughts, Kam . . . and I’m sorry to hear the emotional hardships you’ve had to endure. But rest assured that these experiences make you the unique person you ARE, and likewise enhance your life/love perspective and capacity for empathy. It’s a blessing that you’re able to share that (consciously or perhaps subconsciously) in your interactions and company with friends and loved ones, many of whom have come to know you through your blog.

Be strong, my friend . . . keep the faith in humankind.

• Reply Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today January 3, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I had to pin it not to forget. I’m waiting for summer in Europe, so I can enjoy fresh fruits and I’m making it.

• Reply Lindsay January 19, 2014 at 11:13 am

It is a dreary Sunday morning and these bright beautiful scones are just the ticket. Sorry to hear of your heartbreak, I am with you at the moment. Keep your head up.

• Reply trisha February 9, 2014 at 12:03 pm

these scones look very beautiful. I live in Berlin at the moment but I really miss a good scone with clotted cream and jam. x

• Reply Anitha March 5, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Oh, how I know exactly where you are at right now. It feels like with each heartbreak, you won’t be able to recover…and then you do…and then it happens again. But that’s the thing: you do recover. I am in it right now myself, and so I’ll send you wonderful vibes for this difficult time. I made some heartbreak eggs – super easy and if you have the time, check them out on my blog. Be well! x

• Reply MB March 15, 2014 at 7:08 am

Oh my, these would cure heartbreak… I’m so sorry for you, but these are gorgeous! Might I suggest you add a bit of shaved chocolate to the recipe if you are still feeling down… I find chocolate always helps me:) Somehow I just discovered your amazing blog, but will certainly be following it…

• Reply Charlotte Valerie April 18, 2014 at 5:11 am

I will definately make them for our easter brunch! thanks for the great recipe! xo

• Reply Lisa April 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

They look adoreable! I WANT THEM – NOW!
    :) I will try them the next time.

Greets, Lisa

• Reply Gingersnap cookies | Food Manna August 6, 2014 at 5:25 am

[…] been a silent follower of a blog – The Sophisticated Gourmet. In his recent post, Kamran writes about heart break and baking. He said heartbreak knows no season […]

• Reply Gingersnap cookies | Foodmanna September 10, 2014 at 11:14 pm

• Reply naleśniki November 26, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I bet this is so good! These flavors are perfection!

• Reply Carla January 30, 2015 at 7:41 am

Kam,

I just got your book and it touched my heart.

Regarding the scones, have you tried doing as a drop scone. (like a drop bisquit)

That might keep the berries intact.

You would loose the flakes of course.

Ps. Can’t wait to get home from vacation and start baking….

• Reply Strawberry & Cream Scones | baking charlotte February 26, 2015 at 6:49 am

[…] Rezept habe ich bei sophisticatedgourmet entdeckt. Schaut unbedingt mal vorbei, es ist ein ganz toller Food Blog von einem ganz jungen New […]

• Reply 20 Fabulous Easter Brunch Recipes | baking charlotte February 26, 2015 at 6:53 am

[…] Heartbreak Raspberry Cream Scones by sophisticatedgourmet […]

• Reply Ana Santek June 30, 2015 at 5:44 am

Hi Kam,

This soon look lovely.
    Could you tell me if its possible to make the dough and then bake it in the next morning? Can they be on fridge till bake??

Thanks,
    Ana

• Reply Aaisha @BakingPartTime.com January 29, 2016 at 3:12 pm

I love this post. I don’t know why, but I’ve come back to it a few times in the past few years just to reread it. I finally got around to making the scones a couple of weeks ago and loved them. I’ve made them with raspberries, with strawberries, with chocolate, without chocolate… they are wonderful every time. Thank you for sharing the recipe and your story with us. I hope your heart has been healing and you’ve been finding more ways to love.