website statistics
Roasted Tomato and Thyme Soup Recipe

Roasted Tomato and Thyme Soup

September 6, 2011 | 49 Comments

Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe |

In all honesty, much baking hasn’t been done in the past few weeks. There was a lemon drizzle cake, some cookies, and a few other things, but that’s about it. Days have become busier, and fall is slowly beginning to settle in.

At the very moment that I write this, I sit with a cup of tea, and a notepad filled with notes for this post. Outside, rain collects in small puddles on the cobblestone walkway, clusters of friends gather under umbrellas and walk briskly to class. Some are running to class, and some are walking slowly- balancing an umbrella in one hand, and in the other, a large Starbucks cup.

Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe |

It was like this last month. For an entire week, it rained. That week, if I remember correctly, was followed by a warm week- it wasn’t severe, but it did require the air conditioner to be turned on. After that, Hurricane Irene followed.

During the hurricane, all I could think about was the moment I made a this soup for myself, which I had made during the first week of much needed rain. I was home alone, we had a somewhat significant amount of tomatoes waiting to be used up, and the depressing grey clouds that covered the sky made me long for a bit of color in my day.

Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe |

After a few moments of thinking what to do with the tomatoes, I preheated the oven, pulled a baking tray and cutting board out of the cupboard, and began chopping and slicing at onions, a small head of garlic, and the crimson red tomatoes. Everything was mixed on the baking tray with some olive oil (not extra-virgin), a spoonful of sugar- to help caramelize and bring out the sweetness of the red fruit, some salt & pepper and thyme- to accentuate and heighten the flavor.

Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe |

The mixture was heated on a low flame with slug of cream and some chicken stock; meanwhile, a cast-iron skillet was heated, a generous slice cut from a loaf of fresh sourdough, and was toasted in the pan with butter. Once toasted, fresh mozzarella was torn and veiled over the toasted bread. The pan of cheese-covered bread was put under the broiler until the edges of the bread reached a fine line of golden & burnt, and the melted cheese was golden brown and bubbly.

Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe |

The warm soup was tasted for seasoning and then ladled into my favorite enamel bowl, and the cheese-covered bread was bedecked with chives and set to float on top of the sunset colored soup. Quickly, I sat down, grabbed a spoon and cut into a corner of the crisp bread, making sure to get enough mozzarella, chives, and soup in one spoonful. The soup was creamy, velvety, sweet. The fresh chives added cleanliness; the soup had a slight smoky note from the roasted garlic. And the bread covered in fresh mozzarella that floated in the middle of the bowl completed the entire dish.

Roasted Tomato and Thyme Soup
Adapted and Inspired by various sources
Makes 2 Servings, or enough for one hungry person.

This soup tastes like a sexied-up version of this roasted tomato sauce that I shared with you last year. This recipe makes enough for about 2 servings, but I’d definitely double, triple, or quadruple the recipe, if need be. I only say this because two helpings wasn’t enough for me that day; I had to make more later. It’s that good.

1 ½lbs / 680g Ripe tomatoes (whatever you’ve on hand; I used plum & cherry), halved
1 medium-sized peeled Red onion or Cipollini onion, quartered
1 small head of Garlic, or four regular sized garlic cloves (skin on), top cut off
½ tablespoon Fresh thyme leaves (from about 3 springs) or ½ teaspoons dry thyme
1 teaspoon Natural Cane Sugar
Fine Grain Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil (not extra-virgin)

½ cup / 4oz / 85ml Chicken / Vegetable Stock (optional)
2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)

To serve:
Generous slice of fresh artisanal bread
Unsalted butter, room temperature
Fresh Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375F / 190C / Gas Mark 5.

Spread the cut tomatoes, onion, garlic, and thyme on a baking tray or roasting tin (if you’re double/tripling/ quadrupling the recipe, use a roasting tin). Sprinkle with sugar, and season to taste with salt & pepper.

Coat with olive oil, and roast in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until the tomatoes are about half their size, wrinkly, and some of the juices are caramelized on the bottom of the pan.

Tip the tomatoes and onions into a blender or food processor. Squeeze the contents out of the garlic bulb, and mash with the back of a fork, add to the tomatoes and onions. Pulse until smooth.

You can stop here if the soup is thin enough for your liking. If not, pour the rust red mixture into a large sauce pan, and thin the mixture with the stock and heavy cream. Heat the mixture on medium heat, until bubbly and warm.

Serve with toasted bread or mozzarella cheese-topped bread (preparation below)

Prepare the Cheese-Topped Bread
Heat a cast-iron (or oven-safe) pan on medium heat. Butter both sides of the bread, and toast the bread until golden brown. Top with fresh mozzarella, and put pan under broiler for a couple minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Float on top of hot soup. Enjoy!

• Reply Jeff September 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm

That soup would probably calm me down after any storm! It looks so delicious!

• Reply leaf (the indolent cook) September 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Love the simple, rustic flavours. Delicious!

• Reply Nutmeg Nanny September 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Such a delicious looking soup! I love the cheesy bread on top…I would devour that in no time!

• Reply Brian @ A Thought For Food September 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I’ll go for “enough for one hungry person”

• Reply Louisa [Living Lou] September 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Wow, this soup sounds delicious. My mom and I love tomato soup and thyme is one of my favourite herbs, can’t wait to make this. Thanks for the recipe, and as always, accompanied by a beautiful narrative.

• Reply Zita September 7, 2011 at 2:52 am

I love roasted tomatoes. It is a very easy recipe, a real comforting food. BTW, great photos!

• Reply kamran September 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Zita- thanks so much!

• Reply Patricia Scarpin September 7, 2011 at 8:10 am

It’s great to know you’re fine after the hurricane. I always think of my fellow American bloggers when I hear the news (I live in Brazil).
    This soup is amazing, I love tomato soup but have never tried it with the cheesy toast on top. I definitely will once summer comes my way.

• Reply Suzanne September 7, 2011 at 11:53 am

This soup looks wonderful and full of flavor.

• Reply Goolsat Atem September 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I just found your site through your great bagel recipe. i’ll be making this tomorrow. We have a lot of different colored tomatoes, do you think that the soup will turn a different color than from the one you pictured in the post? Thanks.

• Reply kamran September 7, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Goolsat- It definitely might turn out to be a different color if you’re using several colored tomatoes(I used all red tomatoes), but it will still taste just as great.

• Reply Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen September 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Good heavens…it’s 95 degrees today in LA and all I want is this bowl of soup with that piece of cheesy bread on top. Beautiful photos, per usual!

• Reply kamran September 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Adrianna- why thank you! I don’t blame you, I wouldn’t even turn down a bowl of this stuff during 95 degree weather!

• Reply David September 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Another awesome post Kamran. The inclusion of your feet in the first shot was inspired. Kudos for keeping it real.

• Reply kamran September 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm

David- thanks!

• Reply Kalyn September 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm

It sounds very warm and comforting. So glad you were okay in the hurricane; what a nightmare.

• Reply kamran September 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Kalyn- I actually was going to talk more about the hurricane, but I wanted to spare you all of the boring details. Everything in our refrigerator spoiled from the electricity being out for a couple days… There’s just so much more, but I won’t complain, as others were hit worse than we were.

• Reply amy @ we are never full September 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm

fabulous – it really is getting to be full-time soup season. i always begin craving soup and stew season by the end of august. we make a garlic soup with a cheese crouton on it too. it just brings it up to the next level. very lovely!

• Reply kamran September 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm

amy- I agree, the bread really brings it up to the next level.

• Reply Jen September 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I made a similar soup recently. Tomato soup is my ultimate comfort food.

• Reply Helene September 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm

We are getting colder days and I am back in the kitchen baking and cooking. Will start making soups again. Fresh tomatoes are at all markets now and this soup sounds like a tasty one. Love your pics :)

• Reply For The Love Of Food | Healthy Eating Tips - Upgrade Your Healthstyle | Summer Tomato September 9, 2011 at 8:02 am

[…] roasted tomato and thyme soup <<A beautiful looking recipe, though I would personally leave out the sugar since tomatoes are so sweet right now. (the sophisticated gourmet) […]

• Reply chuck cotton September 9, 2011 at 9:53 am

this looks good and I’m not much of a tomato soup guy. my wife is though, so I’ll give it a try.

• Reply thelittleloaf September 9, 2011 at 10:33 am

I adore roasted tomatoes – in soup, on pizza, in salads…and roasted garlic? Yum! Beautiful photos too.

• Reply Cathy @What Would Cathy Eat? September 9, 2011 at 4:52 pm

How funny, I just posted a VERY similar roasted tomato soup! Except no delicious cheesy bread with mine :)

• Reply --kyleen-- September 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I’m not a big fan of tomatoes, but even I think this soup looks amazing. It must be the thyme and bread and cheese (: Beautiful pictures.

• Reply Melissa September 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I used to hate tomato soup until I made my own from garden tomatoes. Now I love it… as long as its homemade! Love the melted mozzarella on bread. Going to try that next time.

• Reply Rachel September 11, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I am trying it tonight! I do have one burning question … why do you specify not extra-virgin olive oil?

• Reply kamran September 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Hi Rachel- great question! For one- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (normally) won’t be able to withstand the heat of the oven, and the beautiful fruity flavors of the oil will be damaged, as a result. Save your good extra-virgin olive oil for dressing salads, making vinaigrettes, for topping on cooked vegetables, etc (You want the olive oil to be as good as the ingredients- so if you’re using powerful things like chilies, etc, you’re not going to taste the extra-virgin olive oil. If you’ve good extra-virgin olive oil, it will have a very unique taste depending on where the olive oil comes from). If you’re going to cook / roast something with olive oil, just use the regular stuff as it has a higher smoking point compared to that of any virgin or extra-virgin olive oil. :)

• Reply Lena September 12, 2011 at 7:05 am

I made this soup today. even though it is rather hot today. It was delicious, and the apartment smelled great. Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Russell van Kraayenburg September 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Oh my gosh the title of this recipe wrangled me right in. Tomato soup takes me right back to being a baby–well young at least–and I have a special place in my heart for thyme. I must have walked past your window as you wrote this… fumbling with my pretentious sbux and umbrella : /

As always, delicious shots and the recipe sounds wonderful!

• Reply Karen (Back Road Journal) September 14, 2011 at 7:15 am

What a delicious looking soup. My counters are loaded with tomatoes now and your recipe sounds like a perfect way to use some of them.

• Reply Barry C. Parsons September 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

Sarah Gim, the owner of said in an interview that she disliked hands in food photos. I wonder what she’d make of your feet? LOL!

• Reply tasteofbeirut September 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm

This soup is after my own heart and stomach! Love that whole head of garlic, just what I would want with that tomato flavor and of course, the crowning pleasure of eating that cheesy toast on top, that’s happiness!

• Reply pily September 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

I made this soup and is wonderfull!!! thank´s for de recipe! :D

• Reply Isabel @ Pretty Tasty Things September 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm

So incredibly simple to do with a minimal amount of ingredients. Nice addition of the bread with cheese!

• Reply Wewing December 29, 2011 at 5:10 am

Be careful to not buy acidic tomatoes, as I mistakenly did. They had some tomatoes on special, and I think in this case a little extra dollar spent on the right pick is crucial. Perhaps it is my lack of knowledge in what tomatoes should be used in what, but if you are going to do this recipe I highly recommend you use the same tomatoes as stated here… unless you know your tomatoes well of course.

I ended up needing a bit of baking soda to bring down the acidity, and had to add extra sugar… overall, I was disappointed with myself, and my bland soup. I’m sure the recipe works well with the right tomatoes.

• Reply Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup « Wright Time for a Schnack January 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm

[…] Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup Adapted from Sophisticated Gourmet […]

• Reply Snow, Snow, Snow and Roasted Tomato Soup. Staying warm in winter | Wylde Thyme February 29, 2012 at 7:47 pm

[…] the kids anyway.  But I have wanted to make a better tomato soup.  Two sites: Honey and Jam and The Sophisticated Gourmet both have great recipes (oddly enough they both published them on the same day back in September […]

• Reply In Good Health: Herbal Seasoning 101: When in Doubt…Use Thyme | Magazine On Health August 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm

[…] Roasted Tomato Thyme Soup – I came across this recipe last fall on a chilly, damp day. Most of the ingredients came from my garden. The picture alone of the soup with the toasted cheese bread floating on top was enough to win me over. With this method of making soup you really do not heat up your kitchen!  If you want to read more about thyme, go to this link. […]

• Reply Rainy day recipes « The StePhD Wife September 21, 2012 at 4:56 pm

[…] the recipes I used are found here and here. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like […]

• Reply Colleen September 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Thank you for this recipe. You have a wonderful website! I just made this soup about an hour ago and it is just wonderful my sister and dad love it!! I will be making this often!

• Reply Jess October 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hi there! Thanks for the amazing soup. I took a picture here… I also adapted it quite a bit… adding a LOT more thyme and later in the recipe… I found that the juice from the tomatoes dulled down the thyme while roasting … and some chili and basil were nice touches! :) :)

• Reply Juha od pečene rajčice | Life Tastes Like Chocolate October 14, 2013 at 3:05 am

[…] Ljeti svi naginjemo laganijoj hrani. Manje začina, manje vrućine, manje masnoće, manje glutena, čak i manje šećera. Da, kažem čak i manje šećera :) Povrće u svim oblicima postaje glavni sastojak mnogih jela, a svi nekako izbjegavamo paljenje pećnice da nam stan ipak ostane malo hladniji nego što je temperatura zraka vani. Nemam klimu i nikad je neću imati. No živim u sjevernom stanu pa je u njemu cijelo ljeto više-manje ugodno – stoga se ne odričem pećnice, čak niti za najvećih vrućina. Evo jednog finog recepta koji zahtjeva da malo zagrijemo atmosferu – no isplati se, vjerujte mi ;) Recept je preuzet sa stranice The Sophisticated Gourmet. […]

• Reply Roasted tomato soup | Life Tastes Like Chocolate October 14, 2013 at 3:07 am

[…] In summer, everyone prefers eating light food. Less spices, less heat, less fat, less gluten, even less sugar. Yes, I said even less sugar :) Vegetables in all forms become the main ingredient in many dishes, and we all somehow avoid turning on our ovens so that our apartments sty just a bit cooler than the air temperature outside. I don’t have air conditioning and I will never have it. But I can’t give up my oven – not even on the hottest days. Here is a nice recipe that requires you to warm up the atmosphere a bit – but it’s worth it, trust me ;) The recipe is adapted from The Sophisticated Gourmet. […]

• Reply Joy May 26, 2015 at 2:14 am

I cannot tell you the effect it had on me to see your post and notice that your feet are in the picture : ) Brilliant! So visceral.
    …and I want to make the soup

• Reply Joy May 26, 2015 at 2:16 am

…I have ordered your book. Can’t wait now