website statistics
Very Best Chocolate Sauce Recipe | Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
Chocolate Homemade

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe

April 3, 2012 | 57 Comments
Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

As far as I’m concerned, everything is better with chocolate. Now, much can’t be said about this chocolate sauce, other than- it’s really good! There is no grand story as to how this was created. I had a craving for ice cream covered in chocolate sauce and a smattering of green pistachios, right after a baking failure, and so this chocolate fudge sauce was created.

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

The past few weeks have been quite interesting with recipe testing for Hand Made. I’ve been trying to get all of the chocolate recipes done; the other day, I decided that I’d use the chocolate I melted for a group of photos, to make brownies. The ratio of eggs, chocolate, flour, sugar, and cocoa powder seemed perfect as I mixed the batter together. The batter tasted like heaven. 15-minutes into baking, I realized I forgot one of the most important ingredients in my batter– butter. I convinced myself that things would be fine, but after so many successful recipe tests, which all started off with me literally throwing things together, I knew something had to fail.

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

After cooling the chocolate confection disaster, I sliced a corner off, and prayed that the promising dark chocolate crumb meant all would be fine. After literally .2936 seconds of having the small piece of brownie in my mouth, I felt my salivary glands and my taste buds wither into nothingness. I don’t know how, but I somehow managed to bake a brownie that tasted like the product of Chocolate and Chalk procreating.

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

After my first and last (thankfully) brownie failure, I decided it would be appropriate to heal my taste buds with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.

This chocolate sauce recipe is quite easy to remember, as it (conveniently) requires most of the ingredients to be ⅓ cup.

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

It all starts with chopping 3.5 ounces (100g) of luscious dark chocolate and earthy-brown cocoa powder being mixed together in a heatproof bowl over simmering water.

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

Once the pool of chocolate has melted, golden syrup is mixed in. After that, a slug of cream, an avalanche of snow-white confectioner’s sugar, a splash of vanilla, and a pinch of sea salt are mixed into the sweet chocolate puddle.

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

Once everything is mixed together, it’s poured onto waiting cups filled with scoops of hand made ice cream. Everything is then sprinkled with pistachios, sliced almonds, and chopped almonds.

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

Now, I might have alarmed a few of you with the golden syrup. Golden syrup is one of those ingredients you have passed in the isle with maple syrup, honey, and pancake syrups, at your local grocery store / supermarket, without paying it any mind. Here in Middle-of-Nowhere, New Jersey, it’s nearly impossible for me to find certain ingredients, but Golden Syrup doesn’t fall under my list of hard-to-find ingredients. I can find it at all of our local supermarkets and grocery stores without a problem. This sweet, mellow amber elixir is basically cane sugar syrup, and it’s perfect on pancakes (I dare you to try it with your pancakes this weekend!), and in this instance- adds a lot of depth to this chocolate sauce. If you do have trouble finding golden syrup (I use Lyles), feel free to use light corn syrup or light agave nectar in place of it.

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe |

As a side note: I have to thank you all for the kind comments; funny, inspiring emails; sweet tweets, and messages over the past couple weeks regarding my post about Hand Made. All of them touched my heart and re-inspired me to do what I love. And that is: sharing recipes and snippets of my life with you. So, thank you! :)

As another side note: I’ll be in San Francisco next week; any recommendations for places to eat and visit?

Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce Recipe
Makes: about 1 cup / 240ml
Total Time:

As stated in the post, Golden Syrup should be quite easy to find (it’s usually near the pancake syrups, honeys, etc. At the grocery store). If you can’t find it, light corn syrup or light agave nectar will work well, too.

Although Dark Chocolate with 70% cocoa content may seem a little too dark for any milk chocolate lover’s liking, that is not the case–I find it works perfectly, especially since it is diluted a bit by the cream and the other ingredients. 70% cocoa content is ideal, but if you don’t have that on hand, use whatever you have– I wouldn’t go below 64% cocoa content, though.

3.5 oz / 100g dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons / 15g unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or dutch-processed)
⅓ cup / 116g golden syrup (I use Lyle’s) / light corn syrup / light agave nectar
⅓ cup / 75g heavy (double) cream
⅓ cup / 30g confectioners’ (Powdered) Sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch fine-grain sea salt

Place the chopped dark chocolate and cocoa powder in a heatproof bowl over simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water) and heat until the chocolate has melted.

With the pan off the heat, stir in the golden syrup, followed by the heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla, and pinch of salt.

Transfer to a glass jar or heatproof container with a lid, and serve over the ice cream of your choice. Can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days (that is, if you’re not sharing!). Re-warm before serving.

• Reply leaf (the indolent cook) April 3, 2012 at 10:38 pm

That does look absolutely divine. So rich and glossy!

• Reply nicole @ bread & silk April 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I’ve been waiting for these pictures since the day you posted them on Flickr. This sauce looks diiiiivine. Nice job, Kamran!

• Reply Jara April 3, 2012 at 10:59 pm

What a lovely sauce. The ice cream looks much decadent with it. Beautiful photography. Wish I was going to San Francisco. Hope you have a good time :)

• Reply Brian @ A Thought For Food April 3, 2012 at 11:07 pm

You can’t go wrong with chocolate fudge sauce… nope… I’m marking this one down for when we go to our favorite ice cream shopt this summer.

As a side note… I do have a list of places to go to San Fran:

Arizmendi Bakery, Humphry Slocombe, Marnee Thai, NOPA, Hog Island Oyster Co.

• Reply Kamran April 4, 2012 at 9:45 am

Brian- thanks so much for that list! :)

• Reply Anne B. April 4, 2012 at 12:07 am

I find brand of chocolate makes a big difference……which brand do you prefer?

• Reply Kamran April 4, 2012 at 9:52 am

Anne- there are quite a few brands that I like. I prefer Valrhona (can be found online, at Whole Foods, and at Trader Joe’s), however these are some of the other brands that I like: Green & Black’s (can be found just about anywhere), Scharffen Berger, Callebaut, El Rey, Endangered Species Chocolate (can be found at Whole Foods, and Stop & Shop), and E. Guittard. I hope that helps! :)

• Reply Rus April 4, 2012 at 1:07 am

Lovely recipe. I subbed in agave for the golden syrup (didn’t want to run to the store)… the result is delicious to the taste!

@Anne: I used Ghiradelli chocolate.

• Reply Kamran April 4, 2012 at 10:11 am

Oh, I forgot about that substitution. As a matter of fact, I had to substitute about 1/3 of the golden syrup with light agave nectar, as we ran out… Anyway, will include that in the recipe notes! So glad you liked it! :)

• Reply Amanda K April 4, 2012 at 1:55 am

I might have to make that one next time. the recipe i recently used from epicurious was just too sweet. as far as restaurant suggestions in San Fran, i can only give you a list of the places i’ve been dying to try the next time i’m there (i wish). probably already on your list: Chez Panisse, Zuni cafe, bi-rite creamery, and mission chinese food (a little farther off the beaten path). Have a wonderful time, it is truly a lovely city. also, if you have never been, visiting alcatraz is a blast. i went last year with a friend and it was a fun adventure, if a bit touristy. we also enjoyed just taking a walk in the late afternoon and stopping in Grace cathedral when it got a little rainy.

• Reply Kamran April 4, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hi Amanda- I don’t think this is too cloying, but do add the powdered sugar to your taste if you do feel the recipe might need less. :)

Also, thanks so much for the restaurant suggestions! Have been dying to go to Chez Pannise and Zuni Café! Will also see if I can visit alcatraz, as well. Not sure I’ll have enough time, but I’m sure I’d love it! Thanks again! :)

• Reply Gail April 4, 2012 at 6:56 am

The only change I’d make is to pour double the amount of chocolate sauce over that ice cream.
    Beautiful , as usual, Kam!

• Reply Kamran April 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

Gail- Oh, trust me, my friend– while eating the ice cream, I end up pouring more chocolate sauce on with every spoonful, so I’m totally with you on more chocolate sauce! In the photos, I poured some on the bottom of the ice cream, in between the scoops of ice cream, and on top, and still wasn’t enough for me! :)

• Reply olga April 4, 2012 at 9:26 am

Kam – food failures are great. because, in essence, it really makes you realize how amazing that missing ingredient makes the dish. love the idea of the chocolate sauce. did i miss reading, or maybe not, but how long would you keep this in the fridge?

• Reply Kamran April 4, 2012 at 10:03 am

Olga- every time I’ve made this (about 10 times since I made the photos), it’s only lasted up to three days in our refrigerator, as we can’t get enough of the stuff! A couple of times, we kept it out, covered on the counter for a few days, and everything was fine. I suspect the sauce will keep good for about 5 days or so, but again, it’s never lasted more than three days in our house because we love our chocolate sauce! :)

• Reply olga April 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

Oh and SF: Slanted Door, Mission Street Food, Tartine (ohyoumust). Also, Coi. Very very good stuff. Incanto i’ve never been to but i hear revelatory things.

• Reply Nicole April 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Kamran, this fudge sauce looks fantastic! I’m especially enamored with those ice cream bowls, I’m always a sucker for something a little bit retro.

As for SF, I have a few recommendations/highlights depending on what you’re looking for: Hong Kong Flower Lounge for fantastic dim sum (get the taro cake and chicken wings); Outerlands for beautiful food by the beach (also check out Trouble Coffee Company and the General Store next door if there’s a wait at Outerlands (there almost always is, but it’s absolutely worth it); NOPA is overall just fantastic and has exceptional service, also if you are traveling with anyone 21+ they have unbeatable cocktails and a great wine list; Cha-Ya for unpretentious vegan japanese food (way better than it sounds – I’d recommend their tempura and the dengaku especially); The Ice Cream Bar for old-fashioned sodas and ice cream sundaes (think soda jerk); La Palma for great burritos/quesadillas and any sort of Mexican sodas (Mexican coke!)/treats (its a small grocery/taqueria); Bi-Rite Market for edible souvenirs; and finally I’ll second/third the recommendations to check out Tartine, Bi-Rite Creamery, and Mission Chinese (though those all will have a wait).

Hope you have a great trip here!

• Reply Kelly Senyei April 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’m drooling over my keyboard. Of course I had to spot this at the exact moment I’m having my daily sugar craving. You make it look so easy!

• Reply Nicole April 4, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Oh also, Arizmendi has fantastic pastries and bread, and I’d wager a trip to SF is not complete without a visit to the Saturday Ferry Plaza Farmers’ Market (though it is a bit touristy, hey, you’re a tourist), the combination of food stalls, permanent food shops (hello Cowgirl Creamery, Miette, Ciao Bella, Out the Door, Blue Bottle, etc) and friendly farmers selling exceptional produce is hard to beat.

• Reply Jay @ April 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I’ve just scrolled back up to the top a couple of times to review those decadent photos. Simply marvelous.

• Reply --kyleen-- April 4, 2012 at 11:20 pm

How you make something as simple as a chocolate sauce look like a work of art is amazing. I’m having a huge craving for an ice cream sundae with pools of chocoalte sauce right now.

• Reply myfudo April 4, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I believe every mom should have a choco fudge recipe like this. You’ll never know when you’ll gonna need one. ;)

• Reply Anna April 4, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Your recipes look so great! I can totally relate to making mistakes in the kitchen, I love it because it always gives you inspiration to make something new!

Your photos really inspire me, I love how you are able to capture the action in your photos, I have so much trouble doing that! Keep up the awesome work!

• Reply Rikki April 5, 2012 at 12:12 am

Gosh, does this look heavenly! I’m totally craving hot fudge & vanilla ice cream now [: I love that try in your pictures too, it all looks amazing!

• Reply Kulsum at JourneyKitchen April 5, 2012 at 2:37 am

ah baking disasters are real thing. And some how when a chocolate goes waste during baking my heart breaks :-) But this chocolate fudge sure makes up for everything.

• Reply Ben April 6, 2012 at 9:19 am

Kam, There is nothing like a really good fudge recipe. After I made this, I could not control myself from taking a little spoonful of the fudge I had made from the fridge on the go. Thanks!

• Reply Kenniston April 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Gorgeous pictures as always. You have such nice hands, so photogenic.

• Reply Alex April 8, 2012 at 1:47 am

Beautiful shots Kam :)

• Reply Ashley April 9, 2012 at 11:51 am

Pizzeria Delfina, Tartine, Bi-Rite Creamery, and Hogs and Rocks are all great SF places…

• Reply Vanessa April 11, 2012 at 9:08 am

Beautiful photos as always! =) Well done, sir.

• Reply Kamran April 11, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Thanks so much,Vanessa!

• Reply Tallulah April 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I’ve just started following your blog. I found it through another, and I hit the subscribe button as soon as I saw this recipe. Your photography is amazing and this sauce looks like it could solve problems. Can’t wait to try it! One thing, I’m in New Zealand and we don’t have any of those chocolate brands here. What percentage of cocoa would you suggest?

• Reply Jen Laceda | Tartine and Apron Strings April 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm

silky! love it! i’m craving for a cup now…my husband is sitting beside me with a cup of ice cream and i am sooooo tempted to make this at 10:45 pm, Toronto time!

• Reply Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) April 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Love that you used golden syrup for this! My Dad is English and whenever we over to England to visit family, we always bring back tins (well, now they have squeeze bottles, which is more convenient) of it. Black golden syrup is nice too! So good with Treacle pudding :)

• Reply pips April 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm

yum! Looks perfect :)

• Reply Helene April 21, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Chocolate is good any time of the day! Pics are very well done.

• Reply kelsey May 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

lovely lovely. I always adore your color temperature and light, such a treat. hope you’re well, friend.

• Reply Kamran May 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thanks, Kelsey! You’re very kind! :)

• Reply Amanda K May 5, 2012 at 5:44 pm

To my horror, I saw my dad topping his ice cream last night with Smuckers and realized that i’d put off making this for far too long. Took a special trip to the store (appears we use up chocolate in this household at an alarmingly unhealthy rate) but the outcome was rich, smooth, and a perfect balance of flavors. so thank you for the recipe. hope your trip to san fran was awesome.

• Reply Tsgfan7 May 19, 2012 at 12:39 am

Nice photos. Killer recipe to try, thanks.

• Reply Billy May 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Somehow I just managed to discover your site.

The photos are ridiculously gorgeous, and if I were there I would steal that tray of ice cream and hot fudge sauce and make a run for it.

• Reply Catherine August 2, 2012 at 12:08 am

Thanks! must try since I couldn’t find any in my fridge last night. I do know you can buy Lyle’s golden syrup online at my favorite british imports shop here in the US:
    Have you ever added any cinnamon or cayenne to this?

• Reply Mic dejun de Bucuresti November 2, 2012 at 9:07 am

For a chocolate addict, this is heaven. This is so great!

• Reply lapiubelladitutte December 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I seriously believe I could kill for a good chocolate sauce instead of all the rubbish we found at the super market ! Yours definitely looks tempting!

• Reply Valentine's Day Recipe Roundup - Savory Simple January 31, 2013 at 12:27 am

[…] The Sophisticated Gourmet – The Very Best Chocolate Fudge Sauce […]

• Reply GlasseonWeb June 19, 2013 at 12:32 am

Must be worth every calorie :)

• Reply GlasseonWeb June 19, 2013 at 12:35 am

Kamran what camera & lens do you use to shoot this beautiful pictures?

• Reply Aarika June 30, 2013 at 8:59 am

Hi would love to try this recipe. But what i have on hand is some semi sweet chocolates.. Do i need to lessen the amount of sugar? Can this be used in crepes? Thanks

• Reply Joanne - Inspired Taste August 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm

This really does look like the best fudge sauce ever! I love that you used dark chocolate — some chocolate sauces are too sweet for my liking, so this is perfect.

• Reply Profiterole with Ice Cream & Chocolate Sauce | Easy Asian Recipes at August 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm

[…] chocolate sauce recipe, I turned to my friend’s the Sophisticated Gourmet. He has a fantastic chocolate sauce recipe with gorgeous photos that are “imprinted” in my mind. If you don’t have time to […]

• Reply Eva Gold September 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm

that looks scrumptious! your beautiful photography makes it look even more divine! I am going to freeze up some home made vanilla bean ice cream tonight & so I can’t wait to follow your recipe here and add a little chocolateness to my sweetness

• Reply Homemade Ice-cream Recipes | Style My Party September 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

[…] Chocolate fudge sauce is the ultimate and essential topping to offer at any ice-cream party or with ice-cream dessert. This recipe is gooey too and easy to make by […]

• Reply Jameka Calhoun October 6, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Hello,i saw you on tv tonight, so i looked you up and so far i love all your recipes. Will try some soon!

• Reply Chaos, Love, and Profiteroles | The Sophisticated Gourmet December 4, 2013 at 1:33 am

[…] Fudge Sauce 1 recipe for Chocolate Fudge Sauce (can use store-bought, but this is […]