Strawberry Crumble Recipe | Strawberry Crumble
Dessert

Strawberry Crumble

April 5, 2011 | 47 Comments

Strawberry Crumble Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

It’s not quite strawberry season yet, at least not around these parts, but there are times when I find myself food shopping and I can’t help but stare at the joyous, organic, red berries that constantly summon my attention with several winks and a price tag that reads “On SALE!” Sales are my weakness. And so are gorgeous-looking strawberries.

Strawberries are possibly one of my most favorite fruit. Although they are available practically all-year-long in supermarkets and grocery stores across the country, when they’re not in season–usually–they’re practically good for nothing. They’re sometimes vile- both crunchy and sour, and lack in any strawberry flavor. Some will disagree about my last statement but I did say usually; there are a handful of companies that do have great tasting organic strawberries year-round.

Strawberry Crumble Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

When I do find myself picking up a package or two of these glorious red berries that are lacking in the taste department, I most-often find myself baking them. During strawberry season, rarely am I every interested in baking the marvelously sweet strawberries that I pick up from the farmers’ market– I’d much rather munch on them, toss them into a summery salad, or make jam to preserve their magnificent taste for when I need a burst of strawberry goodness during the dreary winter months.

Strawberry Crumble Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

Although this crumble is made with abominable, store-brought strawberries, the berry flavors are enhanced as they bake under a blanket of ground almonds, oats, and a buttery crumble topping freckled with poppy seeds. You may think that the berries might turn out as mushy, red-tinged sludge, but they don’t. Instead, they are baked into succulent, strawberrily-intense explosions of flavor.

Strawberry Crumble Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

When the crumble makes its way out of the oven, I try to amass all of my patience and let it cool on the counter for a few minutes before it makes its way onto the table, or into the refrigerator, where I let the flavors mingle for an hour or two. If my patience is nowhere to be found, I serve it straight out of the oven with a scoop or two of homemade vanilla gelato, and hope that the cool ice cream prevents mouth-burning.

Strawberry Crumble Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

When there’s some leftover, I spoon the rustic crumble into Weck jars and keep them in the refrigerator for midnight-snacking. Oh, how I adore this crumble.

Strawberry Crumble Recipe
Adapted from: Nigella Kitchen by Nigella Lawson
Serves: 4-6

If you are making this recipe at the peak of strawberry season, I’d cut down on the vanilla sugar by a lot, depending on how sweet the berries are on their own.

If you don’t have any vanilla sugar on hand, use granulated sugar or natural cane sugar and a healthy splash (about 1 tablespoon) of vanilla extract when covering the strawberries in almond meal.

Serving this with soft, billowy peaks of whipped cream, or a healthy scoop of vanilla ice cream is necessary when it’s served straight out of the oven. When served cool from the fridge, a glug of heavy (double) cream does the trick.

If you are lucky enough to have leftover crumble, spoon the remainder into small jars and place the jars in the refrigerator for midnight-snacking over the next couple of nights (if you can resist the urge to indulge).

Special Equipment:
This recipe requires 1 ovenproof pie dish (or cake pan) approx. 8-in by 2-in deep (about 1 1/4 quarts capacity). For the photos in the post, I decided to use a vintage pyrex baking dish that snugly housed all of the strawberries; the baking time was still the same, so if you have the same dish, feel free to use it.

1 lb (about 500g) Strawberries, hulled
3 ½ tablespoons (50g / 1.75 oz) Vanilla Sugar
¼ cup / 25g / .9oz Almond Meal / Flour

Crumble Topping:
⅔ cup (110g / 3.9 oz) Unbleached All-purpose flour
½ tablespoon (4g / .15 oz) Poppy seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoon Fine Grain Sea Salt
5 tablespoons (75g / 2.65 oz) Cold Butter, Cubed
1 cup (122 g / 4.30 oz) Rolled Oats
¼ cup (18g / .65 oz) Sliced Almonds
5 tablespoons (75g / 2.65 oz) Turbinado / Demerara sugar

Preheat oven to 400F / 200C / Gas 6. Place the hulled strawberries into your baking dish and sprinkle on the vanilla sugar and almond meal (I simply took ¼ cup of almonds and processed them in the food processor until they looked like sand). Give the dish a jiggle to mix the ingredients a bit.

Crumble Topping:
Place the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt, in a mixing bowl and rub the butter into the flour mixture with your finger tips, until the mixture resembles pale oatmeal. With a fork, stir in the rolled oats, sliced almonds, and turbinado sugar.

Assemble the Crumble:
Tip the Crumble topping over the strawberry filling, being sure to evenly cover the strawberries.

Set the dish on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. When the crumble is ready, the topping will be a slight bronze color and will be blushing with pinkish-red juices at the edges.

Serve warm or cold with generous scoops of vanilla ice cream, a heaping dollop of softly whipped cream, or a generous glug of cold heavy (double) cream. Enjoy!

• Reply kamran April 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Sonia- thanks so much, the poppy seeds are optional, but I love their look in this. You can take them out, though. :)

• Reply chicu April 5, 2011 at 4:28 am

‘succulent, strawberrily-intense explosions of flavor.’

where’s a cold shower when you need one?
    ;)

• Reply shweta j April 5, 2011 at 5:22 am

this looks so yummy. Unfortunately strawberries are not so easily over here. Can i use other fruits for making crumble & would you suggest some ? Thanks a lot : )

• Reply kamran April 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

shweta j – I’m sure that you could. You can use rhubarb, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, apples, plums, pears… The possibilities are endless with crumbles. I’d adjust the sugar as needed…

• Reply Rochelle April 5, 2011 at 9:39 am

This looks and sounds fantastic! The photos are literally making my mouth water and I can just about smell the strawberry crumble from the description.

• Reply Brian @ A Thought For Food April 5, 2011 at 10:09 am

You are making me drool all over my keyboard. Not too worry, it’s well worth the mess.

• Reply Helene April 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

It’s one of my fav fruit. I usually make crumble with other fruits but should try with strawberries. Love the pics!

• Reply kamran April 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Helene – I love crumbles with just about anything, but strawberries are just so… mesmerizing.

• Reply Mika April 5, 2011 at 10:49 am

I cooked strawberries once…
    At first I felt so guilty for ruining them but they were so yummy and delicious…I’ve never thought cooked strawberries could be so delicious…I love the recipe…

• Reply kamran April 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Mika- thanks! Have you tried roasted strawberries? They’re totally a religious experience!

• Reply Joanne April 5, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I caved and bought strawberries the other day also. I had to! I could smell them as soon as I walked into the supermarket…and that was the end of all my resolve. They were actually quite delicious. But maybe I’ve also just not had strawberries in so long that I was semi-delusional. Who knows. Next box is going into a crumble because this looks damn delicious!

• Reply Maris (In Good Taste) April 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I am excited for strawberry season also. Your crumble looks fabulous!I a happy I found your blog!

• Reply christelle is flabbergasting April 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm

holy miam! Me waaaaant! And congrats to you and the Kitchen Generation for BlogHer Food! ^___^

• Reply jaclyn April 5, 2011 at 7:26 pm

this looks divine! luckily, i live in florida, where it’s peak strawberry season right now. definitely need to make this soon!

• Reply Miriam April 5, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I just had strawberries for breakfast this morning, I know what you mean about how flirtacious they can be :). Great recipe for a treat!

• Reply Mika April 6, 2011 at 1:15 am

Roasted strawberries!? This sounds totally new to me…I googled it and the idea is fantastic!!! Do you have a trusty recipe, so I can use yours?

• Reply kamran April 6, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I will post a recipe for it. Promise! :)

• Reply SproutsOfSpring April 6, 2011 at 8:53 am

I love strawberry ice-cream, strawberry jam and love to add them to my fruit smoothies!

• Reply SproutsOfSpring April 6, 2011 at 8:54 am

oh i just saw rest of your post and the recipe. it looks awesome

• Reply Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) April 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love crumbles! Probably my favorite dessert. I personally love the combination of apples and raspberries in mine. Delish!

Beautiful pictures, as always!

• Reply Kate at katealicecookbook.com April 7, 2011 at 12:38 am

Lovely! I know that feeling of being drawn to the burst of red at the shops. We’re just clinging onto summer here in Australia-went blackberry picking the other day. I have not tried strawberries in a crumble, but I like the idea-it’s on the menu soon :)

• Reply Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction April 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm

This looks pretty amazing… I am saving this one for strawberry season. Lovely!

• Reply Holden April 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm

those looks so yummy, your photos are gorgeous as usual! :) its so inspiring to me how successful your writing is, so props from a fellow young cook :)

• Reply Friday Favorites – Episode 88 | my kitchen addiction April 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

[…] I am so ready for spring to be here… The weather has warmed up a bit here this week, but it will still be a while until we have fresh strawberries here. I’m counting down the days, and saving this recipe for a Strawberry Crumble from The Sophisticated Gourmet! […]

• Reply Kate from Scratch April 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm

This looks divine! Thanks for sharing. :)

• Reply cailin April 8, 2011 at 8:34 pm

i’ve just discovered your blog thanks to elissa at 17 and baking and i have to say, you guys are amazing. so inspiring! i’m 18, and heading into culinary school next january. i also have a love for writing (though i’ve never applied it to food), so all involved in “the kitchen generation” are so inspirational to me. your photography is beautiful, and your recipes seem quite down to earth despite the label of gourmet (which is a good thing!!!). thanks for the wonderful reading! (:

p.s. — i also appreciate the fact that you have an entire section dedicated to chocolate <3 haha (:

• Reply kamran April 8, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Welcome, Cailin! So glad to be an inspiration to others our age!

• Reply --kyleen-- April 10, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I found out about your blog recently and I have to say it’s awesome. Your recipes and pictures are so elegant yet simple.

Mhmm vanilla gelato… :D

• Reply Charlottesville Sybarite April 11, 2011 at 7:54 am

MMmmm…and we are just weeks away from perfectly delightful strawberries in their peak sweetness, can’t wait!

• Reply Meredith April 11, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Now, where’s the Vanilla Gelato recipe?? :o)

• Reply kamran April 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

Meredith- Coming soon… Promise! :)

• Reply Allison April 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Oh this crumble looks so yummy. I love the idea of having poppy seeds in the topping. Can’t wait to make it!

• Reply Katie April 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

Sounds yummy. Especially with the homemade vanilla gelatto. Is there a recipe for this please?

• Reply Kankana April 15, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I have a berry weakness and don’t even get me started on SALE weakness :D SO, you can imagine how much I am enjoying your dish .. i can almost taste it. I have access to fresh sweet strawberry .. will have to try this soon. :)

• Reply Patricia Scarpin May 8, 2011 at 7:08 am

One of my favorite crumbles – looks delicious! I love strawberries in just about anything to be honest. :D

• Reply Friday Night Dinner & Dessert | Learning to Like Veggies June 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm

[…] would tell you what I did to make this—if I remembered. I followed some of this recipe except I added blueberries and I didn’t use anything that mentions almond or oats. I also […]

• Reply Hannah@ Bake Five June 29, 2011 at 4:27 am

oh how i adore that crumble. (:

• Reply Strawberry Pineapple Crumble — Joy the Baker July 29, 2011 at 11:06 pm

[…] Recipe inspired by The Sophisticated Gourmet […]

• Reply Najaah Namdarkhan September 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Hi Kamran, ur blog was my exciting discovery of the week!, every food is described in such mouth watering details..can’t wait to try out the recipes.
    najaah. from france :)

• Reply Sandyann64 March 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Heaven! Easy to make and cooking does something to not quite ripe strawberries, giving them a taste that’s out of this world. Fabulous straight out of the oven with lashings of double cream as advised by Nigella!

• Reply grace May 1, 2012 at 1:37 pm

you have totally made my May! Was looking for a recipe for my strawberries and I totally found it! thanks

• Reply Rebekah May 2, 2012 at 7:29 am

Thanks for the inspiration! I used about 6 cups mixed strawberries and chopped peaches. For sweetener I put 2 tablespoons agave in with the fruit, then 1/4 cup demerara and 2 tablespoons agave in the topping. Oh, and since I am gluten-free I just used oat flour. It was fabulous… very well received at my book club last night. Thank you again!

• Reply Rebekah May 2, 2012 at 7:30 am

p.s. I was using partially frozen fruit so it took longer to bake.

• Reply cinzia May 19, 2012 at 5:06 am

ottimo dolce veloce, che ispira anche i palati più prestigiosi.

• Reply Peach Strawberry Crumble | Oh, Hey, Jamie Bakes April 2, 2014 at 11:45 am

[…] inspired by The sophisticated gourmet […]

• Reply Ruth October 8, 2015 at 3:32 am

Can i make this without the ground almond?