Perfect Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Breakfast

Perfect Blueberry Muffins

November 21, 2010 | 25 Comments

Perfect Blueberry Muffins Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

Last Sunday, while the red and yellow leaves gracefully pirouetted to the wind’s frigid autumn song, my family and I slept, tucked under our warm comforters, ignoring the daylight that softly pierced our tired eyes. My mother and I were the first to wake; the dirty dishes from Saturday’s supper warbled my name in an implausible tone, “Kamran, wash us. Kamran, we need you! Kamran, we’ll give you chocolate! Kamran! Kamran . . . ! Kam-.” I gave in after five minutes; for the chocolate (wouldn’t you?). Once the sink sparkled like no other sink in the New York-New Jersey area, my stomach reminded me that breakfast was my next mission.

Perfect Blueberry Muffins Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

Prune-y hands, grumbling stomach, and all- I scrolled through an endless spreadsheet of recipes for an entire hour. And there it was. It was like the dude upstairs (points up) was reading my mind. A one-bowl recipe for Perfect Blueberry Muffins.

Perfect Blueberry Muffins Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

Not having to wash more than a bowl and a few utensils is a gift sent down from the heavens.Everything was as simple as creaming together sugar and butter, and dumping ingredients into a bowl set over a kitchen scale. It was that easy. Honestly.

I did change a few things about the recipe- I replaced ½ cup of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat pastry flour. This gave the muffins a beautiful crumb, which everyone loved! As for the sour cream required in the recipe, I used something a little more “gourmet-ish”- crème fraîche. It made these muffins a little more special, making up for the fact that I used frozen blueberries, but you can easily use sour cream or yogurt if you can’t find crème fraîche.

Perfect Blueberry Muffins Recipe | sophisticatedgourmet.com

Once these babies came out of the oven, I will admit- I refused to let them cool on a wire rack. I opened one with a fork, and spread on a pat of butter.

Before I knew it, I ate 4 of the 12 muffins that I made before actually calling my family to the table. Whoops!

Perfect Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated and Smitten Kitchen
Makes about 12 standard-sized muffins

These muffins are best served right out of the oven and spread with room-temperature butter. You can substitute the crème fraîche called for in the recipe with sour cream or plain yogurt; buttermilk might work just as well. To prevent the mixture from turning blue, you may want to toss the berries in a tablespoon of flour, or you can fold in the berries when there is a little bit of flour left in from the dough. Both ways work equally well.

5 tablespoons (2 1/2 ounces or 71 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces or 100 grams) sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup crème fraîche, yogurt, or sourcream
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup (60 grams) whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon (7 grams or 1/4 ounce) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda
1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) fine grain sea salt
3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces or 105 grams) blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, don’t bother defrosting)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners, or butter each cup. Using the paddle attachment on your electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar with until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, and beat well. Next, add in the crème fraîche and lemon zest. Put flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a sifter and sift half of the dry ingredients over batter. Mix just until combined. Sift the remaining dry ingredients into batter and mix just until the flour disappears (don’t over-mix). Gently fold in the blueberries. The mixture will be quite thick (and even thicker, if you used a full-fat Greek-style yogurt), similar to a cookie dough, which is why an ice cream scoop (I used a 1.5 ounce scoop) is a great tool to fill your muffin cups. You’re looking for them to be about 3/4 full, nothing more, so you might only need less than 12 cups. Bake for 23 to 30 minutes, until the tops are golden and a tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean . Let cool on a wire rack (if you’re into that stuff) or once out of the oven, break open with a fork, and serve with a generous pat of butter. Enjoy!

• Reply El November 21, 2010 at 9:01 pm

These muffins look exceptionally good. ( I LOVE the top photograph) I wish I had one of the blueberry muffins with a cold glass of milk right now!

• Reply Jessica @ How Sweet November 21, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Those absolutely do look perfect. Especially with that slab of butter.

• Reply Tweets that mention Perfect Blueberry Muffins Recipe | the sophisticated gourmet -- Topsy.com November 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kamran Siddiqi, Kamran Siddiqi. Kamran Siddiqi said: New post! perfect blueberry muffins – http://tinyurl.com/35cusno […]

• Reply Lorna November 22, 2010 at 3:19 am

What an eye! Amazing photography, Kamran.

• Reply Jessie -- The Messie Kitchen November 22, 2010 at 7:36 am

Perfect blueberry muffins is a bold statement but these look wonderful. Although I usually don’t go for blueberry in the wintery months, these may be an exception. Lovely photos, how do you like your Nikon?

• Reply Joanne November 22, 2010 at 8:34 am

Delicious! I’m the same way – as soon as muffins (especially blueberry!) exit the oven, I’m hovering like a starved wolf until I can grab a little beauty and devour it in alls it’s warm, sweet, richness. It’s not until they cook that I have to put a little whip cream or GASP! …butter on them.

• Reply Barbara | Vino Luci Style November 22, 2010 at 10:44 am

One of my favorites; maybe because frozen blueberries do work so well and they can be a spontaneous treat; especially if any one of the wet ingredients you mention would work; think I’ll experiment with buttermilk in them. Now.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply Maria November 22, 2010 at 10:45 am

These muffins look perfect. Nice job!

• Reply Divina November 22, 2010 at 11:28 am

Hello Kamran, I haven’t visited you in a while. I miss you.. Just browsing through your blog and your photography has greatly improve… (as if I’m one professional photographer).. and as always, your writing is flawless.

• Reply Lan November 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm

what a perfect little treat to tuck into on a sleepy sunday morn. lovely.

• Reply Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 23, 2010 at 10:02 am

Lovely! Nothing beats a blueberry muffin for breakfast. Those photos are stunning, too :)

• Reply Tracey November 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm

These look delicious! This is my favorite blueberry muffin recipe. I make them all the time! Your site is amazing. Keep up the good work!

• Reply Katie (The Boston Marathoner) November 24, 2010 at 10:43 am

I love hot blueberry muffins straight from the oven – I’m physically incapable of waiting until they cool. Thank you for the recipe!

• Reply Miguel Cizeron November 24, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Just to inform you that I sent a dart
    ;)

• Reply heidileon November 24, 2010 at 9:16 pm

its 10:30am over here, is it still time for breakfast? (say yes!). I love blueberry muffins.

ps. really like the grainy effect of the pics.

• Reply Sally November 25, 2010 at 2:49 am

Smitten Kitchen recipes always work for me and it’s lovely to see your interpretation and share your breakfast through your beautiful images.

• Reply Dana December 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm

They do sound pretty darn perfect. Great pictures!

• Reply Brian @ A Thought For Food December 13, 2010 at 6:51 am

Blueberry muffins are one of those simple joys that can always brighten up my day. These certainly do look perfect!

• Reply Jennie @ Oh, Sweet Day! December 13, 2010 at 8:51 am

You make them look and sound so divine!!!

• Reply Carolyn Jung December 13, 2010 at 11:54 am

Those look perfect, indeed! Mmm, wish I had a warm basket full of them with some jam and butter right now.

• Reply Cat VL December 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Sounds like a great recipe! My husband is lactose-intolerant but loves anything blueberry…I wonder if substituting the crème fraîche with a vegan sour cream, and the butter with vegan butter, will produce good results. If I try, I’ll let you know how they turn out :)

• Reply Jen December 15, 2010 at 12:13 am

These look amazingly good!

• Reply Sarah December 20, 2010 at 3:29 am

love one bowl recipes, especially when such beauties come out of it

• Reply S December 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm

One bowl? Heck yes. I love Cook’s Illustrated so I definitely will love these. I love the changes you made as well! I am making these after the holidays…my kitchen is a big ball of crazy right now!

• Reply Sara May 11, 2013 at 7:07 am

Hi , Planning to make these but notice that most of the comment s are about the photos which are lovley but , the thing is do they taste nice and if I do manage not to eat them all while they are hot , do they keep for tomorrow?