website statistics
Radish-Dill Tea Sandwiches

Radish-Dill Tea Sandwiches

May 22, 2010 | 56 Comments

French Radish-Dill Tea Sandwiches Recipe|

I’m writing this post hoping that the words will flow naturally across the computer screen. I don’t know if it’s my long absences from the blog that have me experiencing the worst writer’s block of my life, or if it’s my subconscious saying that my Inspiration API has reached it’s max (an allusion to my constant overuse of my twitter API, for those of you who didn’t know what I was speaking of).

French Radish-Dill Tea Sandwiches Recipe|

Whether or not my writing inspiration has reached its limit, my other inspirations in life have not. My photography inspirations constantly make me want to try new things with my new camera, and heck, I can now say that I actually know how to use Adobe Lightroom to edit my photos!

French Radish-Dill Tea Sandwiches Recipe|

As for recipe inspiration, let’s just say that I’m up to my head in inspiration in that category- I just wish there were enough hours in the day, enough counter space, enough mixing bowls, and enough ingredients to make everything happen, but life isn’t perfect. There’s only twenty-four hours in a day, two countertops in our considerably tiny kitchen, one small sink to wash all of the dirty mixing bowls and dishes in, and one person doing all of the work- me.

French Radish-Dill Tea Sandwiches Recipe|

Wouldn’t it be great to have a recipe so simple that you only dirty… Oh… five things or less? Well, I’ve got just the recipe for you! You can forget getting your hands all prune-y looking after washing a sink full of dishes. Forget the hot water beating on your hands, while you’re sweating up a storm in your already warm kitchen (thanks to the eighty-something degree weather we’ve been experiencing here in the tri-state area)!

French Radish-Dill Tea Sandwiches Recipe|

This recipe is so simple, that it’s kind of a joke for me to include on the blog, but it’s still a recipe. A refreshing recipe at that- radish-dill tea sandwiches. The freshness of the dill in this recipe works very well with the mild peppery, crisp flavor of the beautiful ruby red radishes.

After taking a bite out of one of these small tea sandwiches, you’ll be making these small open face tea sandwiches time and time again, trust me on that!

Radish-Dill Tea Sandwiches
Very Loosely Adapted from Bon Appétit Test-Kitchen
Makes 16 Servings

¼ cup (½ stick or 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons dill
16 ¼-inch-thick baguette slices (or black bread slices)
10 radishes, thinly sliced
Good quality sea salt (such as fleur de sel), to taste

Mix room temperature butter and dill in a small mixing bowl. Season with salt, to taste.
Spread butter mixture onto slices of bread.
Top with thinly sliced radishes, overlapping them slightly.
Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.

• Reply trackback May 22, 2010 at 7:07 am

[…] radish-dill tea sandwiches | the sophisticated gourmet […]

• Reply baahar May 22, 2010 at 6:11 am

The photos are definitely gorgeous !!

• Reply Maria May 22, 2010 at 7:22 am

Your photos are amazing. Sometimes simple recipes are the best!

• Reply Erica Lea May 22, 2010 at 7:36 am

You have such a way with words. I must be so spoiled with three sisters to help with prep and cleanup. Hats off to you!

Your sandwiches sound delicious and refreshing. And your photos are lovely.

• Reply Tweets that mention radish-dill tea sandwiches | the sophisticated gourmet -- May 22, 2010 at 7:39 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Maria Lichty and Kamran Siddiqi, Kamran Siddiqi. Kamran Siddiqi said: New post! radish-dill tea sandwiches – […]

• Reply kamran May 22, 2010 at 7:43 am

Baahar, Maria, Erica – thank you for the kind comments! I really appreciate it! :)

• Reply Kalynskitchen May 22, 2010 at 7:45 am

Nice photos! I like the addition of dill.

• Reply Tangled Noodle May 22, 2010 at 7:49 am

I love the cooking and the eating, but always have to gird myself for the cleaning! Still, its often well-worth the labor. My sister loves radish sandwiches and I’ve been eyeing the bunches at our farmers’ market – now I have good reason to pick them up! And your photos are simply lovely!

• Reply A&N May 22, 2010 at 8:50 am

I think the pictures are very old-world. With the idea of more light in food stylin/photography, this comes as a fresh gust of air.

Good work.

• Reply Kirstin May 22, 2010 at 9:13 am

I love the gauzy/airy look of these photos, you must have done a good job editing!

• Reply deeba May 22, 2010 at 9:27 am

Simple is the best, and your photographs are charming K!! Loved the read!

• Reply Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } May 22, 2010 at 10:14 am

Beautiful photos! I adore tea sandwiches and yours look amazing. So simple, yet so delicious!

• Reply ksiddiqi92 (Kamran Siddiqi) May 22, 2010 at 11:01 am

New post! radish-dill tea sandwiches –

• Reply Lauren May 22, 2010 at 11:27 am

Sometimes, we really need simple. This is a good time for that :). The summer is almost here, so you can switch to whichever mode you like and write whenever you are inspired to do so. Exams can burn us out, but summer is meant for regeneration :).

• Reply Gail May 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm

The bouquet of radishes in your hand is the most gorgeous, inspiring photo. I’m drooling over a dish I’ve always taken for granted.

• Reply s. stockwell May 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Less is always more with you Kamran. I do so love your artful photos and interesting color pallet.

• Reply Mac May 22, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Well, you’ve just proven that less really is more! Super idea. Photos like that make we want to RUN off to the farmers market! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Helene May 22, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Glad to read another post from you. Would love to share those tea sandwiches with you someday. Great pictures :)

• Reply Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 22, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Lovely pictures! Now I’m hungry, too. Can’t wait to get some radishes from our CSA.

PS – I totally got the Twitter API reference… Lately I’ve been seeing the warnings that I hit my update limit. Oops :)

• Reply Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 22, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Absolutely stunning photos Kamran! :o You’ve got a fantastic eye for photos! :D

• Reply penny aka jeroxie May 22, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I love simple recipes and tastes. they are usually the best.

• Reply trackback May 23, 2010 at 11:01 am

[…] radish-dill tea sandwiches | the sophisticated gourmet […]

• Reply Kathleen May 23, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I love tea sandwiches and they look magnificent. Looks like you and the new camera have meshed! I have been thinking about tea sandwiches, cucumber, egg, sprouts, etc. Must get busy and make some, great for summer.

• Reply Cristina (TeenieCakes) May 23, 2010 at 8:33 pm

These are perfect springtime, little tasty sandwiches.

Beautiful photography. Lightroom is awesome…I hardly ever have to use photoshop anymore except to add a frame or more customized watermark. =)

• Reply Ruby May 24, 2010 at 3:36 am

No recipe is ever too simple – I’m glad you posted this and obviously others are too because you made Top 9 – congrats!

It reminds me of when I went to live in France and was served radishes with butter and salt as a starter – what a revelation. I never thought to parlay that into a sandwich – great idea!

• Reply Linn @ Swedish home cooking May 24, 2010 at 4:22 am

Mm, my grandma always used to grow radishes in her little garden in the backyard. Your post wakes up good memories!

• Reply Sara May 24, 2010 at 5:52 am

Congrats on the Top 9!!! :)Love the tea sandwiches!!

• Reply Prerna May 24, 2010 at 9:30 am

Radishes have always scared me I still don’t know why but I think now they won’t.
    Love the pictures as well :-)

• Reply trackback May 24, 2010 at 12:50 pm

[…] radish-dill tea sandwiches | t&#1211&#1077 sophisticated gourmet […]

• Reply Magdalena May 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I love simple sandwiches, or rather “tartines” with fresh and crispy radishes. I love dill to, and few days I go I made sandwiches using similar ingredients, which I am going to show in coming days. This type of food is especially welcomed at my home in summertime, as a quick snack. Your post is a very tasty joke, actually :)

• Reply a tasteful garden May 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm

i just harvested our first radish of the season yesterday. wonderful timing. i am looking forward to trying this recipe.

beautiful photography by the way!

• Reply Lauren @ Healthy Delicious May 24, 2010 at 8:54 pm

radish and butter on a baguette is one of my favorite springtime treats! so simple, so good.

• Reply Lawyer Loves Lunch May 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Wow, these are beautiful and oh so elegant :)

• Reply Emily May 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Simple and pretty – this goes to the recipe as well as your photos. :)

• Reply Magic of Spice May 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Very beautiful!

• Reply Tokyo Terrace May 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Lovely post Kamnran! I’ve been having similar problems with writer’s block recently. Not fun. Has to happen occasionally though. Great photos! I want one of these lovely sandwiches right now…

• Reply The Cilantropist May 25, 2010 at 12:07 am

Wow, this is sort of a coincidence: I have plans to make an array of tea sandwiches this weekend for a bridal shower, and here you post this recipe! I was originally planning to make my vegetarian sandwiches with cucumber, but I think I will also include some of your variety. :) Just LOVE your blog, I really cannot wait to see more of your posts.

• Reply denise @ quickies on the dinner table May 25, 2010 at 6:18 am

I love your blog – it’s so spare and beautiful and the photography seriously rocks. I feel like going back to my blog now and stripping away all the clutter *sheeeesh*

I am definitely looking forward to more from you!

Btw – I hate washing up and pruny fingers too…

• Reply Patty Price May 25, 2010 at 8:43 am

Never too simple, I love radishes and they really are very good all on their own but why not make an open face sandwich with a few nice additions? It makes for good reading even out of the tri-state area!

• Reply Shannalee May 25, 2010 at 9:52 am

The first thing I thought when I clicked through from my Reader is THIS KID NEEDS A BOOK. Seriously, Kamran, your photos are insanely gorgeous. I am so impressed.

• Reply Cannellette May 25, 2010 at 9:55 am

These look so elegant! I absolutely love tea sandwiches and these would make a lovely addition to the High Tea I plan to be making soon. Thanks for the inspiration and lovely pictures!

• Reply Janice May 25, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Here’s hoping you are officially unblocked as a writer.

• Reply Eleanor Hoh(wokstar) May 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I so agree that simple is best, you can taste the flavors rather than have too many fighting each other. so less is more.

• Reply Genaro Spivey May 27, 2010 at 10:00 am‘s done it again! Superb article.

• Reply Jamie May 28, 2010 at 7:14 am

I love the simplicity of your food styling and photography. Nothing messy, just beautiful pictures. And sometimes one just needs something really really simple like these sandwiches.

• Reply For The Love Of Food | Healthy Eating Tips - Upgrade Your Healthstyle | Summer Tomato May 28, 2010 at 11:29 am

[…] Radish-dill tea sandwiches <<Simple, beautiful, delicious recipe. (The Sophisticated Gourmet) […]

• Reply Martin Boswell May 31, 2010 at 12:23 pm

You’ve done it once more! Incredible read.

• Reply D. @ Outside Oslo June 2, 2010 at 1:24 am

The sandwiches look lovely. Yes, that still counts as a recipe!

I’ve enjoyed hosting tea parties for my grandma with my mom, and now I have a new recipe to add to the inspiration. Thanks!

• Reply yasmeen June 3, 2010 at 8:36 am

Love such simple foods especially this time of the year :D

• Reply rebecca subbiah June 9, 2010 at 10:36 pm

oh wow great sandwiches and amazing photos

• Reply Mark Vice June 12, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Great post!

• Reply naomi June 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Photography-amazing, Food-delish! Writing-snappy! Loving it.

• Reply Cat April 20, 2011 at 4:58 am

gorgeous images!

• Reply christelle is flabbergasting June 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Well, all I have to say (except that I love tea sandwiches) is: I don’t think your inspiration API has reached it’s maximum, man! It’s always great reading you and looking at your beautiful pics!

• Reply Stella Horton June 21, 2011 at 12:33 am

Wonderful article! Cooking for me is a passion and I’m happy to have read about the article. Cooking is an art as well as a talent. It takes an ample dose of dedication to come up with a tasteful dish. It’s interesting how well they prepare the food that looks oh so delectable!

• Reply 100 cooking blogs for students - January 22, 2013 at 11:41 am

[…] The Sophisticated Gourmet –  Kamran Siddiqi writes that on this blog readers won’t find recipes “with pretentious ingredients or expensive puff pastry,” and that the majority of ingredients can be found at any local supermarket or farmers market. Recommended posts: “jamaican beef patties” and “radish-dill tea sandwiches.” […]